Grounds Maintenance Apprentice Our Lady of Lourdes Multi-Academy Trust
We are looking for an apprentice to work within the Estates team at a school in Nottinghamshire with good problem-solving, communication and team working skills. You will be responsible for maintaining the grounds to an excellent standard. The apprenticeship will include support and training whilst you gain qualifications.
Closing date: 02 Sep 2022
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 37
Possible start date
05 Sep 2022
11 Jul 2022
Level 2 (GCSE)
What will the apprentice be doing?
- Take responsibility for the provision of grounds maintenance service on school site
- Assist with all-cutting, weeding, bedding, tree and hedge trimming and the pruning and clearance of leaves and debris around the site
- Assist with managing the resources required for excellent grounds maintenance
- Ensure the security of equipment when not in use, the repair and maintenance of equipment and the necessary stock control level and procedures
- Ensure grounds conforms to latest Health and Safety legislation
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Your training will be provided by both your Employer and Grey Seal Academy. All training is delivered face to face at the workplace either on site or videoconferencing; this includes x1 training session and x1 coaching session per month. You will have access to an online portfolio and virtual learning environment to assist your training and assessment during your programme.
During the Apprenticeship you will learn the following topics:
- Communication; communicate with others, including clients, the public and colleagues, this may require basic IT systems use
- Team working; work alone and as part of a team effectively and recognise how all staff are dependent on each other to meet business objectives
- Health and safety; apply relevant health and safety processes and procedures. Implement specific industry information on hazards relevant to horticultural environments. Follow safe systems of work and safety information provided by employer. Implement environmental protection policies and procedures
- Environmental; prevent and control local pollution incidents e.g. use of spill kits
- Planting, plant growth and development; care for plants correctly in different environments, including basic irrigation methods, planting methods and identifying plant deficiencies. Install various soft-landscape materials e.g. shrubs, trees, herbaceous, bedding, grass areas and seed. This will include site preparation, planting, sowing, turfing, preparation of seed beds and mulching
- Soil cultivation; cultivate and improve soils by mechanical methods and by hand, making and amelioration of growing media and soils
- Tools, equipment and machinery; safely use tools e.g. spades, rakes, shovels; equipment e.g. tape measure and spirit level and machinery e.g. pedestrian controlled mowers, hand held strimmer, hedgecutter
- Vegetation control; follow processes and methods of site clearance, using tools and machinery for pruning and vegetation control, including basic turf management. Follow weed control methods
- Site presentation; work to a specified finish
Upon completion of the Apprenticeship you will gain the following qualifications and Standard:
- Horticulture Operative Level 2 Standard
- Emergency First Aid at Work Level 3
- Use of Pesticides Level 2
- Functional Skills in Mathematics Level 1 / 2 (if applicable)
- Functional Skills in English Level 1 / 2 (if applicable)
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Upon completion of the Apprenticeship, the Employer would like to maintain your employment on a permanent basis.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
About the employer
GREY SEAL ACADEMY LIMITED
Horticulture or landscape operative
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.