Apprentice Large Goods Vehicle (LGV) Technician GRUNDON WASTE MANAGEMENT LIMITED
Our apprenticeship scheme, running for many years, is a great opportunity to kick-start your career as a fully qualified Heavy Vehicle Service and Maintenance Technician, part of a highly skilled and supportive team maintaining Grundon’s fleet of waste collection vehicles to the highest standard.
Closing date: 26 Aug 2022
£246.16 per week, which equates to 35% of the full current LGV Technician’s rate (excluding shift allowance).
Total hours per week: 40.0
Possible start date
05 Sep 2022
07 Jul 2022
Level 3 (A level)
What will the apprentice be doing?
Our Workshops look after all vehicle issues, including daily defects and any breakdowns, servicing, maintenance, and MOTs - all in place to support and ensure a smooth service and compliancy for our customers and operations.
Under the supervision and guidance of our experienced Workshop team (including former Apprentices like you), combined with online activities, webinars, tutorials, and day-release at Langley college, you will acquire the practical skills and on-the-job training to achieve your apprenticeship, like the many Grundon apprentices who have gone before you.
On a day-to-day basis, you will help to prepare vehicles for workshop maintenance and assist with inspections, repairs and general maintenance of the fleet.
You will learn how to:
- Carry out the basic tasks with tools and equipment common to all LGV vehicle mechanical and electrical procedures
- Service, inspect and maintain LGVs and trailers to the required standards
- Use a range of diagnostic and electrical measuring equipment to identify faults and underlying causes
- Carry out final quality checks before handover to the customer without supervision
- Apply advanced diagnostic principles and logical/problem solving techniques and regimes
You will gain knowledge of:
- The fundamentals of LGV technologies, e.g., chassis design, engine, fuels, transmissions, electrical (12/24v), air-conditioning, hydraulic and air braking, air suspension systems etc
- Diagnosing principles and logical problem- solving techniques
- Operators’ “O” Licence requirements relating to LGVs
- The importance of safety inspection and maintenance schedules to meet Operator’s (O) licence and legal obligations
- How the business works from an operational perspective and demonstrate commercial and financial awareness
- Complex problem-solving techniques
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Motor Vehicle Service & Maintenance Technician (Heavy Vehicle) Apprenticeship Level 3
- Functional Skills in English and Maths level 2, if required
- One full day in a week for class and practical training in Langley Campus, Langley
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
As part of your commitment to Grundon, you will be expected to remain in our employment for the duration of the apprenticeship and, if a position if available, for up to two years after successful completion of your apprenticeship.
We will continue to support you throughout your career with Grundon, and we actively encourage personal development and internal promotion.
We practise what we preach – many of our former apprentices still work for us, either us as LGV Technicians or even Workshop Managers
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
Things to consider
About the employer
THE WINDSOR FOREST COLLEGES GROUP
Heavy vehicle service and maintenance technician
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.