We are looking to appoint a Learning Support Assistant whose input will enable students to access the curriculum and associated activities. You will work in partnership with staff and other professionals to educate, nurture and empower learners for academic and social achievement.
Closing date: 15 Aug 2022
Apprenticeship wage during first year £6940.83 NMW during second year. The post is term-time only, all annual leave must be taken during school holiday periods. (The post is paid for 38 weeks + 31 days annual holiday)
Total hours per week: 32.5
Possible start date
30 Aug 2022
20 Jun 2022
Level 3 (A level)
What will the apprentice be doing?
- Under the guidance of a Teacher work as part of a team to promote the individual needs of students with complex Autism, promoting the physical, social, emotional and cognitive development and to meet their needs as directed by the Teacher.
- Work with students on individual education programmes as directed by the Teacher using their own initiative.
- Under the direction of the Teacher take responsibility for individuals and/or small groups either in or out of school ensuring appropriate supervision.
- To share responsibility, as appropriate, for inclusion links and community skills.
- In accordance with school’s guidance and policies provide comfort and immediate care to sick or injured children. Refer them to the identified First Aiders and, if required, accompany them to hospital remaining until parents assume responsibility.
- As part of a team provide a consistent approach to working with students who have challenging behaviour, implementing and contributing to, behaviour strategies.
- In compliance with laid down health and safety procedures, take all reasonable steps to ensure the safety of students, themselves and colleagues.
- Under the guidance of children's therapists and the Teacher carry out prescribed therapy programmes.
- Supervise students during the lunch period as required.
- Participate actively in physical activities including: swimming, and outdoor pursuits.
- Those healthcare duties for which staff have received appropriate training.
- Working under the instruction and guidance of teaching staff to carry out learning, care and support programmes which enable access to learning for the children. This may include the personal care for a learner in some instances.
- Assisting the teacher in the management of learners and the classroom.
- Working with small groups of learners or with learners on a1:1 basis.
- Assisting with the planning of learning activities.
- Communicating with appropriate teaching staff to ensure good preparation of all lessons.
- Preparing, maintaining and using the equipment/resources required to meet the lesson plans/relevant learning activity and assisting learners in their use to ensure they are well prepared for all lessons.
- Creating and maintaining a purposeful, orderly and supportive environment, in accordance with lesson plans.
- Using strategies, in liaison with the subject teacher, to support learners to achieve learning goals.
- Undertaking structured and agreed learning activities and teaching programmes, adjusting activities according to student responses.
- Carrying out supervisory duties in accordance with published schedules, including before and after school and at lunch time.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- L3 Apprenticeship Standard in Teaching Assistant
- Functional Skills Level 2 in English and Maths (if required)
End-Point Assessment (EPA):
- Portfolio based interview
- Practical observation
- Every other week (Friday PM)
- Online portfolio to update with learning and development completed onsite
- Diarised visits from dedicated Trainer/Assessor
- Attendance to Loughborough College for Functional Skills (if required)
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Upon successful completion of the Apprenticeship, there may be an opportunity of a permanent position for the right person.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade Level 4/Grade C or equivalent) Essential
Things to consider
About the employer
Level 3 (A level)