Apprentice Non Destructive Testing and Metallurgical Technician KEIGHLEY LABORATORIES LTD
To carry out the routine non destructive examination and mechanical testing of metallic materials using various techniques including visual, dye penetrant, magnetic particle and ultrasonic inspection.
Closing date: 31 Aug 2022
Minimum wage (£4.81) dependent on age, £9,317 per annum
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 37.25
Possible start date
01 Sep 2022
16 Jun 2022
Level 3 (A level)
What will the apprentice be doing?
Non-destructive testing (NDT) is an engineering science-based profession that requires competent Engineering Technicians to inspect materials, welds, components and plant to verify their integrity without rendering them unfit for further service.
To support the Technical Services team undertaking routine testing and producing technical results and certificates/reports as required. The role requires a hands-on approach, working methodically and carefully to undertake testing in the laboratory.
Additional responsibility within non-destructive testing (NDT) areas finding and reporting on any imperfections within materials using various techniques such as colour contrast and fluorescent dye penetrant, magnetic particle inspection, magnetic permeability testing, ultrasonic inspection and positive material identification.
• Test House Manager
• Technical Services Director
• Testing products for imperfections using various NDT techniques outlined above, depending on whether the imperfections are internal or surface-breaking.
• Participate in round robin assessments / observations within the NDT team
• Involvement with routine and daily equipment checks including the cleanliness and maintenance of NDT machinery to meet certification standards.
• Assisting customers with advice and queries.
• Working to UKAS 17025 standards.
• Participate fully in personal development and training, to PCN Level 2, with a willingness to work towards PCN Level 3.
• Undertake any similar level of work allocated by the Technical Services Director or Test House Manager but not fully outlined within this job description.
Following completion of relevant experience/qualifications:
• Preparation and certification of computer produced certificates.
• Ensuring that documents and certificates are of an acceptable standard in terms of technical detail and quality.
• Writing procedures and techniques for Keighley Laboratories according to the customer requirements.
• Compiling customer quotations.
• Liaising with auditors, external inspection bodies and accreditation bodies.
• Keen interest in Maths and Physics, with the ability to work methodically and with attention to detail.
• You must be a confident person with excellent communication skills as this role manages the relationship between the department and the customer, requiring an understanding and ability to interpret their requirements.
• Good IT skills required for the company network analysis system and using Word and Excel for presenting data.
• Presence of initiative to gain knowledge and responsibility within the department.
• You must be capable of working on your own, or as part of a team, with a motivated, positive, can-do attitude
• Ability to work to strict deadlines and in a busy pressurised environment.
Experience / Qualifications required:
• Ideally this candidate will have minimum grade B (5/6) in Maths, Physics (or a science subject).However, a high grade GCSE in a science subject may be acceptable.
• GCSE minimum grade C (5) in English Language is a requirement.
• Keighley Laboratories will support the candidate through apprenticeship.
• A full driving licence is preferable as you may be required to work off site.
• A willingness to work a reasonable amount of overtime when requested (as governed by the applicable legal requirements). Every attempt will be made to give adequate notice prior to such requests.
• Must have good aided or unaided eyesight, to satisfy the mandatory NDT eyesight test and have appropriate physical fitness in order to operate in industrial environments.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Level 3 NDT Engineering Technician Apprenticeship.
All training & learning will be delivered on site.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Full time position available on completion of the apprenticeship.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
Things to consider
About the employer
SKILLS TRAINING UK LIMITED
Non-destructive testing engineering technician
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.