Apprentice Dental Assistant DR Z SACRANIE & DR ROB TOBIN DR B MOHAMMED
Are you able to recognise that every patient has different needs and expectations, and pride yourself in the courteous service you would deliver to each person who walks into the practice? An apprentice will provide clinical support to dentists, hygienists and patients under supervision and assist with reception or any clerical duties
Closing date: 30 Sep 2022
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 35
Possible start date
01 Oct 2022
01 Jun 2022
Level 3 (A level)
What will the apprentice be doing?
The practice owner, Cluster & Practice manager and the dentist [hygienist, therapist] you are working with.
- Assist dentist, hygienist or therapist by providing dental chairside support duties relevant to stage of competence under supervision of a named GDC registrant in accordance with the GDC guidance for trainee dental nurses
- Keep a log of your structured induction and on-going compliance training using Training Record template (M 222E) and ensure each training session is counter-signed by your supervisor - a named GDC registrant
- Work towards a nationally recognised qualification leading to the registration with the GDC
- Follow all practice policies and procedures
- Establish, promote and maintain productive working relationships with all of the dental team
- Liaise with the practice manager on all matters concerning administration, pay and conditions
- Assist with reception duties and perform other clerical duties if required
- Take reasonable care for your own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by your work
- Key tasks to be carried out under supervision
Provide patient support by
- Liaising with reception over appointments for each patient
- Escorting patients from the waiting room to the surgery, confirming the patient's medical history is up-to-date and communicating to the dentist [hygienist/therapist] any change in medical history or problems that he/she has noted
- Monitoring, supporting and reassuring patients
- Supporting the patient and colleagues if there is an emergency
- Providing appropriate advice to patients
- Perform chaperoning duties for other clinical GDC registrants
- Follow professional ethical guidelines including all rules on confidentiality
Perform reception duties
- Answer telephone, receive mail, email
- Meet and greet patients and/or carers
- Manage the appointment book, send appointments by mail/email
- Maintain recall systems
- File patient clinical records and correspondence securely and ensure they are kept up-todate
- Maintain and promote patient confidentiality in relation to patient medical history, details of treatment, financial transactions or any conversation overheard
- Process patient payments
- External training sessions leading to your qualification
- Practice compliance meetings and training, including annual training for medical emergencies and CPR
Perform other tasks
- Assist in all clerical and administrative duties as required by the principal
- Report equipment failures or breakages to the practice manager
- Bring to the attention of the principal or practice manager any concerns about aspects of the practice, its performance or the performance of others in the practice
- Attend all practice meetings as requested
- Perform any other tasks that are reasonably requested by the principal
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
You will receive a Dental Nursing Level 3 qualification at the end of this apprenticeship
You will be required to attend college one day per week for your training at our Matthew Bolton Campus in Birmingham City Cente.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
A full-time position is available on completion of the course.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent maths (Grade 4/C or above) Essential
About the employer
BIRMINGHAM METROPOLITAN COLLEGE
Dental nurse (integrated)
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.