Apprentice Upholsterer Roger Lewis Furniture Company
We wish to recruit an enthusiastic Apprentice to join our Upholstery team. The successful candidate will be trained in all aspects of Upholstery through WEBS structured training programme as well as on the job training. You will learn practical hands on skills and techniques to produce different types of soft furniture.
Closing date: 31 Oct 2022
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
07 Nov 2022
30 May 2022
Level 2 (GCSE)
Being an Upholsterer, you will be required to work in anyone of a wide range of production environments. Workplaces can be a variety of size from small work-shops through to large commercial factories; either way you will need to be able to work independently and as a part of team.
Duties of an upholsterer could include:
- Stripping down items of furniture from covers back to the wooden frame
- Prepare frames for upholstery including adding different densities of foams and fibres
- Using a wide range of spring systems including serpentine, super loop, box spring units
- Filling cushions using fibre, foam and feathers
- Working with a large range of materials including fabrics and leathers
- Cutting various materials for ready for upholstery
- Tension and straining materials to position them
- Patten matching fabrics within tolerance
- Using a range of trimmings and finishing’s including buttons, facings, piping and decorative studs
- Using traditional methods such as slip stitch, tacking and hand sewing
- Using wide range compressed air equipment including clip, frame, staple, pin and vertex guns
- Use a range of hand tools including scissors, shears, staple lifter, tin snips, hammers mallets and pincers
- Creating different types of pleats including scroll arm, envelope and puckering
- Cutting materials with templates
- Sewing fabrics ready for upholstery
- Good housekeeping and general labouring duties
- Good organisation workloads ready production
- Working with mechanical components from recliner actions to bed actions
- Completing leather repair and service work to furniture
- Checking and ordering new stock, managing storage of stock
- Working as part of a team on piece work production
- Working independently, using your own initiative
Requirements and prospects
- Be able to adjust to working on different designs and models of furniture
- Excellent team working skills
- Basic numeracy skills
- An excellent eye for detail
- Being able to work confidently under pressure
- The ability to meet targets and deadlines
- Excellent attitude
- Be punctual
- Being able to work within a factory environment
None required, however the successful candidate will work towards their Functional Skills in both maths and English if they have not achieved prior or have an equivalent.
- Advanced Apprenticeship in Modern Upholstery
- Progression within the organisation to include more responsibility and wider range of production work
Things to consider
About the employer
Roger Lewis design and makes contemporary furniture for commercial and domestic interiors.
Having built a reputation over the past 30 years with international retail clients they apply their wealth of skill and knowledge to their dedicated contract furniture offering.
Drawing inspiration from a global world, Roger Lewis create modern, comfortable furniture for working, collaborating and relaxing with an unrivalled attention to detail. From the curvature of a sofa, to the smooth finish of a wooden leg and the quality of the yarn, they take great pride in every aspect of the production process. Upheld by every designer and maker in the team.
The design team works closely with high-profile collaborators & designers to develop and deliver a distinctive and customisable collection of furniture from their factory in Wiltshire.
Their partners across the world provide inspiration and enhanced capabilities allowing them to source products and componentry that differentiates Roger Lewis from their competitors, crafting and curating trusted products and services that will stand the test of time.
WEBS TRAINING LIMITED
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Webs Training Ltd
Emma Dougan 01159677771 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Furniture manufacturer Level 2
- Functional skills if required
During your apprenticeship programme you will receive training both off and on the job. You will be required to attend WEBS Training on Block which is for one week at a time five times per year staying overnight paid for by the employer. You will learn the underpinning knowledge that runs alongside your practical elements of the training. You will use a wide range of techniques whilst you complete a practical project.
WEBS Training aim to build on the skills you already have so you reach your full potential both personally and professionally.
Training will be provided in all areas of Furniture Manufacturing to ensure you are capable of creating practical and bespoke furniture using both traditional and modern techniques and materials to produce aesthetically pleasing and fit for purpose products.
If you have already achieved GCSE maths and English at Grade 4 or above or have equivalent qualification you will be exempt from undertaking Functional Skills, however English and maths support will be provided for all apprentices throughout the length of their programme.
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.