Apprentice Greenkeeper Ealing Golf Club (1923) Ltd
We are looking to appoint an enthusiastic Greenkeeper to start on an apprenticeship scheme. The successful applicant will be given full training and will receive a two year contract through the duration of their apprenticeship. The candidate will assist in all operational procedures that are carried out when preparing the golf course for play.
Closing date: 31 Oct 2022
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
01 Nov 2022
10 May 2022
Level 2 (GCSE)
You will be working within a team of 6-8 Greenkeepers initially working on basic Greenkeeping duties and then being introduced to all golf course equipment and machinery. By working within a small team over time you will gain experience and be involved in all areas of golf course maintenance and management. You must be prepared for early mornings and working in all weather conditions. The work is physically challenging and a good level of fitness will be advantageous. You will work with and be trained by successful Greenkeepers with many years of experience in varied roles within the Greenkeeping industry.
Your job role will include:
- Golf course preparation
- A range of mowing
- Presenting and maintaining playing surfaces for golf
- Using and maintaining hand held/pedestrian/ride - on machinery
- Preparing and operating a tractor and attachments
- Renovating and repairing sports turf surfaces
- Preparing ground for grass/plants
- Establishing grass/plants
- Monitoring and maintaining health, safety and security
- Establishing working relationships
- Developing your personal performance
- Free uniform
- GTC approved course and BIGGA membership
During your time at Ealing Golf Club you will be gaining technical knowledge and collating evidence of learning, be observed and receive training as to how the golf course operates.
This is averaged over a 15 - 27 month period and includes time spent at the beginning of the programme completing your enrolment & initial functional skills assessments.
A qualified Greenkeeping Assessor will visit you in the workplace every four to eight weeks.
You will study for a Level 2 Certificate in Golf Greenkeeping on a day release or online programme.
You will carry out an End Point Assessment to complete your training and gain your qualification.
Requirements and prospects
- The ability to work alone and as part of a team
- A willingness to learn
- A safety mindset for yourself and others
- Clear and effective communication skills
- An ability to solve problems and make effective decisions
- The ability to arrive on time and be punctual
- Have a can do attitude towards work with an ability to listen and take instruction
- A strong work ethic
- A flexible, positive attitude to work
- Motivated in their college and professional life
- A desire to stand out and progress
Maths and English GCSE Grades A-E/8-2 - Functional Skills Level 1 or equivalent.
By the end of the programme, the apprentice will know when, how and why the range of maintenance operations are carried out.
The career as a Golf Greenkeeper can take you wherever the game of golf is played. Working outdoors in a healthy environment and as new countries are embracing the sport and more golf courses are being built, there is no better time to consider joining this great profession.
Things to consider
This work is physical and will require you to work in and outdoors in all weathers. You might have contact with members so will need to have a polite approachable manner.
All apprentices are expected to travel to and from work by their own means. Golf course maintenance requires early starts and punctuality is a necessity.
About the employer
Ealing Golf Club is a busy private members club in the west of London. With perfect location near the central tube line and close the A40 leading into the city centre Ealing gains lots of new members by being the nearest golf course to the London. The course is a 18 hole parkland featuring natural British trees, ponds and the river Brent that passes through 6 of the holes. The groundstaff are a young vibrant and welcoming team who work hard to keep Ealing reputation for our playing surfaces.
BERKSHIRE COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE, THE (BCA)
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Berkshire College of Agriculture
Sarah Hill 01628 827530 email@example.com
Training will be on the job and through an online programme with Berkshire College of Agriculture.
- Golf Greenkeeper Apprenticeship
- Level 2 English and maths Functional Skills (unless you possess GCSE Grades A*-C/9-4)
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.