Apprentice Golf Greenkeeper Castle Royale Golf & Country Club
An exciting opportunity for the right candidate looking to start an apprenticeship and career in greenkeeping has become available. We are looking to appoint an enthusiastic Greenkeeper to start on an apprenticeship scheme and add to the ambitious team already in place.
Closing date: 31 Oct 2022
To be agreed upon appointment
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
01 Nov 2022
28 Apr 2022
Level 2 (GCSE)
You will be working within a team of 8 Greenkeepers initially working on basic Greenkeeping duties and then being introduced to all golf course equipment and machinery. By working within a small team over time you will gain experience and be involved in all areas of golf course maintenance and management. You must be prepared for early mornings and working in all weather conditions. The work is physically challenging and a good level of fitness will be advantageous. You will work with and be trained by successful Greenkeepers with many years of experience in varied roles within the Greenkeeping industry.
You job role will include:
- Golf course preparation
- A range of mowing
- Presenting and maintaining playing surfaces for golf
- Using and maintaining hand held / pedestrian / ride - on machinery
- Preparing and operating a tractor and attachments
- Renovating and repairing sports turf surfaces
- Preparing ground for grass / plants
- Establishing grass / plants
- Monitoring and maintaining health, safety and security
- Establishing working relationships
- Developing your personal performance
- In addition to a competitive salary, we offer an excellent range of staff benefits, including
- Fun and professional work environment
- Complimentary use of health club, group exercise classes and golf facilities
- Competition play for team members with a golf handicap
- Bonus holiday days
- 50% off when you stay at our hotels
- 50% off meals on duty
- 25% off food, drink, retail and spa treatments at other times
- Discounted membership for a friend or your family membership
- Uniform provided
- Learning and Development programs
- Opportunities to grow and develop within the group
- Cycle to Work scheme
- GTC approved course and BIGGA membership
During your time at Castle Royle you will be gaining technical knowledge and collating evidence of learning, be observed and receive training as to how the golf course operates.
This is averaged over a 15 -24 month period and includes time spent at the beginning of the programme completing your enrolment & initial functional skills assessments.
A qualified Greenkeeping Assessor will visit you in the workplace every four to eight weeks.
You will study for a Level 2 Certificate in Golf Greenkeeping on a day release or online programme.
You will carry out an End Point Assessment to complete your training and gain your qualification.
The successful applicant will be given full training and at the end of the contract will be classed as a qualified greenkeeper with further opportunities to progress within the team and gain further qualifications available. This position is ideally suited to a school leaver.
Requirements and prospects
- The ability to work alone and as part of a team
- A willingness to learn
- A safety mindset for yourself and others
- Clear and effective communication skills
- An ability to solve problems and make effective decisions
- A strong work ethic
- A flexible, positive attitude to work
- An interest in or understanding of Golf would be advantageous
- Maths and English GCSE Grades A-E / Functional Skills Level 1
By the end of the programme, the apprentice will know when, how and why the range of maintenance operations are carried out.
The career as a Golf Greenkeeper can take you wherever the game of golf is played. Working outdoors in a healthy environment and as new countries are embracing the sport and more golf courses are being built, there is no better time to consider joining this great profession. We also offer progression within the team so promotion will be achievable in the future.
Things to consider
This work is physical and will require you to work in and outdoors in all weathers. You might have contact with members so will need to have a polite manner.
Wages will be reviewed throughout the training process with potential increases depending on performance.
About the employer
Castle Royle Golf and country Club is an exclusive members only Club with state of the art Golf, Gym, Swimming and Health/Wellbeing facilities.
The team has very high expectations for the course so are therefore recruiting to add to and strengthen the committed and ambitious team of greenkeepers.
BERKSHIRE COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE, THE (BCA)
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Berkshire College of Agriculture
Sophie Robinson 01628 827438 email@example.com
Training will be on the job and one-day-a-week college day release or online programme with Berkshire College of Agriculture.
Golf Greenkeeper Apprenticeship
Level 2 English and Maths Functional Skills (unless you possess GCSE Grades A-C / 4-9)
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.