Apprentice Operator (Technical Support) Sandvik Coromant (UK) Ltd
As an apprentice you will be learning on the job & playing your part in the improvement of delivery accuracy, reduction in lead times & increase productivity whilst ensuring that all equipment & processes meet all current & future Health & Safety legislation. Working with skilled mentors in a leading engineering/production environment.
Closing date: 04 Jul 2022
Total hours per week: 37.00
Possible start date
06 Sep 2022
20 Apr 2022
Level 3 (A level)
Engineering Operatives are predominantly involved in engineering operations which are key to the success of the Manufacturing and Engineering sector allowing employers to grow their business while developing a work force with the relevant skills and knowledge to enhance the sustain the sector.
Our role covers a wide range of common and job specific skills sets that can be transferred across the manufacturing engineering industry sectors.
You will work individually & as part of a team to carry out a range of engineering operations which could include ensuring machines and equipment used are maintained and serviceable, dealing with breakdowns, restoring components and systems to serviceable condition by repair and replacement; operating a variety of machines (CNC or Conventional); preparing materials and equipment for engineering processes, providing technical support including communications software, test tools, performance, capacity planning, and e-commerce technology as required.
Core Knowledge: during your apprenticeship you will understand:
- How to obtain the necessary job instructions, engineering drawings and specifications and how to interpret them
- Relevant statutory, quality, environmental compliance procedures/systems, organisational and health and safety regulations relating to engineering operations
- Your individual roles and responsibilities within the organisation and the flexibility required to support the achievement of company targets
- Engineering operational practices, processes and procedures
- Potential problems that can occur within the engineering operations and how they can be avoided
Core Skills: & as an Engineering Operative will be able to:
- Work safely at all times, complying with health and safety legislation, regulations, environmental compliance procedures and systems and other relevant guidelines
- Identify and deal appropriately with any risks, hazards, hazardous situations and problems that may occur within the engineering environment within the limits of their responsibility
- Demonstrate effective communication skills which include oral, written, electronic
- Complete appropriate documentation accurately, efficiently and legibly using the correct terminology where required
- Obtain and follow the correct documentation, specifications and work instructions in accordance with time constraints and the roles and responsibilities identified for the engineering activities, extracting the necessary data/information from specification and related documentation
- Select and use appropriate tools, equipment and materials to carry out the engineering operation
- Deal appropriately with any problems that may occur within the manufacturing environment within the limits of their responsibility
- Work efficiently and effectively at all times maintaining workplace organisation and minimising waste
Requirements and prospects
- Understanding and awareness of the importance of Health and Safety measures for both self and colleagues
- Willing to learn new skills, and practically minded
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Good time keeping skills
- Good communication skills both written & oral
We recognize and value your passion and personality and ability to drive projects and focus on identifying solutions. You will work as part of a team but also have ability to work to work independently where required. You have a determined approach to everything you strive to achieve.
Manufacturing and Engineering organisations require their apprentices to have a set of behaviours that will ensure success both in their role and in the overall company objectives. The required behaviours are:
- Personal responsibility and resilience – Comply with the health and safety guidance and procedures, be disciplined and have a responsible approach to risk, work diligently regardless of how much they are being supervised, accept responsibility for managing time and workload and stay motivated and committed when facing challenges.
- Work effectively in teams – Integrate with the team, support other people, consider implications of their own actions on other people and the business whilst working effectively to get the task completed.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills – An open and honest communicator, communicates clearly using appropriate methods, listen well to others and have a positive and respectful attitude.
- Focus on quality and problem solving – Follow instructions and guidance, demonstrate attention to detail, follow a logical approach to problem solving and seek opportunities to improve quality, speed and efficiency.
- Continuous personal development – Reflect on skills, knowledge and behaviours and seek opportunities to develop, adapt to different situations, environments or technologies and have a positive attitude to feedback and advice.
Minimum GCSEs at grade 4/C or higher including mathematics, English and science, or equivalent and/or relevant experience.
Demonstrable interest in manufacturing operations and engineering/ science
Progression into a full-time opportunity dependant on candidate performance.
Things to consider
Please note you may be asked to complete suitability assessments as part of the recruitment process.
Apprentice Employment Agency is acting as an Apprentice Training Agency (ATA) and will engage you for the duration of the apprenticeship and pay your salary. You should be aware that the company/business named in this vacancy is a host employer and you will not be employed by them. Your placement may change during the course of your Apprenticeship.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week). Following a building of competence and skills in the workplace (following the first 12 months of the apprenticeship at college) you may be asked to join the 3shift rotation for which a salary uplift is provided.
For more information please visit: https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Once you have applied for this vacancy, you will be contacted to arrange a 5-minute pre-screen telephone call. Please ensure you check your phone/emails regularly in order for this to take place. Failure to contact us back if correspondence is missed will result in your application being deemed unsuccessful.
Please ensure you check your application for spelling / grammar errors and correct them prior to submitting as attention to detail is very important and may affect the outcome of your application.
Your application may be shared with training providers and employers as follows: https://www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/privacy
The Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage guide (ANMW): https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
About the employer
Sandvik is a global, high-tech engineering group with approximately 44,000 employees and sales in about 150 countries. We have a strong focus on enhancing customer productivity, profitability and sustainability through our unique expertise and solutions for the manufacturing, mining, and infrastructure industries.
Our offering covers their value chains and is based on extensive investments in research and development (R&D), customer insights and a deep knowledge of industrial processes and digital solutions.
We have world-leading positions in the following areas:
Tools and tooling systems for advanced metal cutting, expanding into digital manufacturing and software solutions, as well as disruptive technologies like additive manufacturing and in-line metrology.
Equipment and tools, service, digital solutions and sustainability-driving technologies for the mining and infrastructure industries, such as automated and electric mining equipment and eco-efficient rock processing.
Advanced stainless steels and special alloys as well as products for industrial heating.
NICHOLAS ASSOCIATES GROUP LIMITED
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Nicholas Associates
Georgia Marlow 07540 716312 email@example.com
Maintenance & Operations Engineering Technician (level 3)
A Technician will understand:
- first principles relating to the operation and maintenance of appropriate plant and equipment
- relevant industry health and safety standards, regulations, and environmental and regulatory requirements
- maintenance and operational practices, processes and procedures covering a range of plant and equipment
- the relevant engineering theories and principles relative to their occupation
A Technician will apply their knowledge of plant and systems to safely perform maintenance and operational activities with minimum supervision. This will require them to:
- comply with industry health, safety and environmental working practices and regulations
- locate, and rectify faults on plant and equipment
- communicate with and provide information to stakeholders in line with personal role and responsibilities
- read, understand and interpret information and work in compliance with technical specifications and supporting documentation
- prepare work areas to undertake work related activities and reinstate those areas after the completion of the work related activities
- inspect and maintain appropriate plant and equipment to meet operational requirements
- assess and test the performance and condition of plant and equipment
- communicate, handover and confirm that the appropriate engineering process has been completed to specification
PLEASE NOTE YEAR ONE BLOCK DELIVERY; Block release for the first year of the apprenticeship at Make UK to develop your skills and engineering / operator knowledge.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS - BIRMINGHAM TO ATTEND COLLEGE
Maintenance and operations engineering technician
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.