Apprentice Chef Burtree Inn
The Burtree Inn near Darlington are excited to recruit an aspiring Chef to their passionate team. This is an excellent opportunity to gain the knowledge, experience and qualifications to embark on a successful career in the catering industry.
Closing date: 07 Oct 2022
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
17 Oct 2022
19 Apr 2022
Level 2 (GCSE)
- Learn different procedures of food preparation
- Prepare ingredients for dishes upon the instructions of the Chef
- Assist in operating commercial cooking equipment such as stoves, cookers, ovens and fryers
- Make sure that food supplies are stored properly and used resourcefully
- Ensure that food items are properly rotated in refrigerators and dealt with according to the restaurant’s policies
- Help the Chef in cooking activities by providing input and managing work
- Set up food stations by following Chef’s orders
- Make sure that recipes are followed properly during food preparation and cooking time
- Handle portion control requirements and presentation standards
- Arrange food items aesthetically on serving plates
- Make sure that the kitchen is clean and organised at all times
- Ensure that best food practices and kitchen hygiene protocols are adhered to
- Provide guidance to kitchen staff in upholding high culinary standards
- Make sure that all leftover food is stored properly
- Assist in checking food deliveries for both quantity and quality standards
- Provide input into stock rotation activities and make sure that food inventory is in check
- Learn and employ the basics of food aesthetics in sync with the restaurant’s set instructions
- Maintain a “clean as you go” work ethic
Requirements and prospects
- Ability to communicate with a variety of people including colleagues, managers and customers
- Attention to detail
- Flexible approach to work
- Able to work under pressure and multitask
- Self-motivation and a passion for cooking
- Good work ethic and a commitment to learning
- Culinary skills will be developed on the apprenticeship programme
- Good interpersonal skills
- Friendly and outgoing
- Confident and professional manner
- Conscientious attitude
- Essential - Minimum of GCSE Grade E/2 in maths and English (or the equivalent)
- Desirable - GCSE Grade 4 - 9/A - C (or the equivalent)
This is a great opportunity to work as part of a team passionate about food and offering great customer experience, it would lead to a long term permanent position for the right candidate on successful completion of their apprenticeship.
Things to consider
- Please consider the location of this business and how you will travel
- You will spend one day per week at Darlington College working towards your qualification
- This employer wants the apprentice to have great learning experience and quickly become part of the team
- The kitchen is often very hot and stressful. The candidate will show stamina and commitment to achieving their apprenticeship.
The Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage guide (ANMW): https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
About the employer
At the Burtree Inn we pride ourselves on a mouthwatering menu of traditional fayre, in a friendly family run environment.
Our chefs cook the highest quality locally-sourced dishes, which has helped our reputation grow - we are sure you will be visiting us regularly after your first visit! With a wide-ranging choice of menu, from our renowned Sunday Lunch to the unmissable Burtree Favourites you are sure to return again and again!
Not forgetting some fantastic value regular offers, hugely entertaining quiz nights and free parking - The Burtree Inn has all you could want in a family run restaurant and more!
We are conveniently located just outside Darlington, on a bus route.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Darlington College
Kay Sherwen 07483 103284 email@example.com
- Training to be provided in line with the Commis Chef Level 2 Apprenticeship Standard
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.