INDUSTRIAL COATINGS APPLICATOR APPRENTICE Jack Tighe Ltd
This role involves working away throughout the UK, working on everything from road gantries to national landmarks. It provides the opportunity to learn a lucrative trade, that is currently in high demand with good long term employment prospects.
Closing date: 01 Oct 2022
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
30 Oct 2022
12 Apr 2022
Level 2 (GCSE)
Jack Tighes, Industrial coatings applicators play a key role in protecting the nation’s infrastructure from deterioration for the benefit of existing and future generations.
Responsibilities will include:
- Safe manual and mechanical handling techniques to move equipment, material and waste
- Interpret and work to method statements, specifications, and inspection and test plans
- Undertake the specified method of surface preparation of the steelwork (e.g. by hand or power tool cleaning, blast cleaning) and the specified method of protective coating application (e.g. by brush, roller, spray)
- Identify surface preparation and coatings defects and rectify defective work
- Care for and maintain tools and equipment
- Maintain health, safety and environmental protection measures
- Understand the need to address the areas that require protection from the high-pressured projectiles and other contaminants released in the corrosion protection process
- Understand the types of industrial coating materials used, and the different techniques and equipment used for surface preparation and coating application
- Understand the safe use of the non-powered and powered equipment and tools used in industrial coatings work
- Understand the causes of typical surface preparation and coatings defects, how they can be avoided and how they can be rectified
There is a high demand for skilled industrial coatings applicators to visually enhance and protect the UK’s national infrastructure which includes bridges, sports stadia, wind turbines and buildings used for example as power generation facilities, high rise offices, schools, colleges, hospitals, hotels and warehouses, as well as more minor structures such as lighting columns.
Certificated industrial coatings applicators are employed within teams in Jack Tighe and your work will involve travelling throughout the UK which means working away from your home location.
Wembley Stadium, Millennium Stadium, Queen Elizabeth Aircraft carrier and the London Eye are just a few of the exciting projects that Jack Tighe has worked on.
Requirements and prospects
Fundamentally, this role requires someone who is organised, industrious and who enjoys traveling and working away.
The ability to follow instructions is also a key requirement.
Being health and safety conscious is essential to someone working in a professional environment on national infrastructure.
Showing environmental awareness in how you perform your role is also crucial to modern construction methods.
You will also need to be adaptable and ready to learn new skills, the wide range of projects that you will encounter in your job role will mean that you will need to pick up new skills along the way. This is a great way to differentiate yourself in the construction industry and enhance your earning potential.
Have a questioning attitude to work including to understanding the processes used, the associated industrial trades and the need to embrace change to maintain industry best practice.
Be able to communicate effectively and work effectively with others.
Be able to think logically using clear and valid reasoning when making decisions.
Be motivated and accountable for following specified procedures and controls, for planning and carrying out their work activities and consistently meeting production and quality expectations, and for their personal development.
Be accountable for their health and safety, and the health and safety of others.
Apprentices without the functional skills level 1 English and maths will need to achieve level 1 English and maths and take the test for level 2 prior to taking their end-point assessment.
There is a high demand for skilled industrial coatings applicators in the national infrastructure sector. Ensuring a long-lasting lucrative career for the right person.
Things to consider
Will need to travel throughout the Country and working away from home and including weekends.
About the employer
Tighe Group is a full-service painting contractor with projects nationwide. Our teams are experienced in the marine, rail, highway, defence, construction, energy and petrochemical sectors.
We are an approved Industrial Coating Applicator Training Scheme (ICATS) and Train the Painter provider, registered to train all current modules including Abrasive Blasting and Spray Painting.
DN COLLEGES GROUP
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by North Lindsey College
Stephen Baker firstname.lastname@example.org
Level 2 Industrial Coatings Applicator apprenticeship standard.
Industrial coatings applicator
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.