Commis Chef Apprentice Crows Nest (Darite)
The Crows Nest Inn has an exciting opportunity for a Commis Chef Apprentice to join their team. You will be working alongside Dan the Head Chef and owner of the Crow's Nest, together you will create great food made from locally sourced produce.
Closing date: 31 Jul 2022
Total hours per week: 30.00
Possible start date
12 Sep 2022
25 Mar 2022
Level 2 (GCSE)
At the Crow's Nest you will train and develop your knowledge and skills alongside Dan and to learn the wider skills of being a chef.
This will include things like:
- Correct ingredients and portion sizes including measuring accurately
- Preparation methods for meat, poultry, game and offal, completing to a high standard
- Traditional cuts of vegetables
- Categories of dough
- Cooking methods for fish and shellfish
- Finishing methods for all food groups
- How to communicate with colleagues
- Principles of supply chain
- Having a food safety approach at all times
- Being fair, consistent, reliable and respectful.
Requirements and prospects
- Willingness to learn
- Interest in food and flavours
- Flexiblity to chenages in rota and shifts
- Use Initiative
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
- Sense of Humour.
Good educational qualifications (5 A*- C GCSEs). Maths and English will be studied as a Mandatory part of the Apprenticeship if C/4 has not already been achieved. These will be studied by Block Weeks, Monday to Friday.
There will be a possibility of a permanent position upon successful completion of the full apprenticeship.
Things to consider
- No two days will be the same
- Village location so will need reliable transport or to live locally
- One day a week in College for minimum 12 months (term time only).
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £4.30 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year.
Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year.
The minimum wage rates are £6.45 an hour for 18-20 year olds and £7.70 for anyone aged 21 and over.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
About the employer
The Crows Nest is renowned for it's great food, local real ales and fabulous hospitality. They are passionate about creating homemade dishes using only the finest locally sourced produce.
Dan, the experienced and talented chef creates tasty dishes using local meat, fish and dairy produce. Food is served for lunch and dinner, alongside catering for functions, theme nights and take-aways on Fridays.
Crows Nest (Darite)
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Cornwall College Business
- You will be working towards a Level 2 Commis Chef Apprenticeship Standard
- You will receive on and off the job training and support from an assessor and an Apprenticeship Advisor
- You will be required to attend Cornwall College Camborne on a weekly basis as part of the apprenticeship training.
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.