Apprentice Manufacturing Technician SIMPACT ENGINEERING LIMITED
Join our highly specialised engineering design team where you will benefit from a huge variety of projects mainly related to product design and development. You will gain valuable experience from our engineers and consultants in many disciplines, complimenting your studies and helping you to achieve your goals.
Closing date: 01 Aug 2022
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
01 Sep 2022
09 Mar 2022
Level 3 (A level)
If you are really driven, have tonnes of initiative and are excited by complex engineering problems, you will really enjoy working at Simpact!
We are looking for an enthusiastic and reliable apprentice willing to grow in a friendly but challenging engineering environment. Relevant training will be provided based on the individuals starting skill base. In our consultancy environment, you will soon learn to work autonomously, drive and support your own work with limited supervision.
Engineering Technician – Product Design & Development pathway. You will work alongside junior and senior team members on engineering projects.
Your work will include:
- Technical CAD design and interpretation of engineering drawings
- Assisting with in-house experiments such as quasi-static and dynamic testing
- Assistance with CAE projects such as FEA model build
- Operation of our CAE hardware such as high-speed camera and impact test facilities
- Building and testing of prototypes
For the above, you will follow the processes as laid down in the Simpact ISO9001:2015 Quality Management System.
You will take charge and manage our workshop that includes our composites processing equipment. This you will keep in a clean, safe and tidy environment.
Requirements and prospects
The following skills are essential:
- Knowledge of computers and software
- Practical engineering skills
This is your chance to take your first step onto the highly specialised engineering ladder, stand out and make a difference on our World-Class engineering projects.
- Willingness to undertake training to improve skills base
- Interested in engineering
Positive, pro-active attitude that does not wait to be told what to do when it’s clear what needs doing.
- Minimum 5 GCSEs grade C/5 or above including English Language, mathematics and a Science or equivalent (checked against a standard)
Upon successful completion of apprenticeship, progression within the company working on projects for our clients.
Things to consider
Please be aware that the candidate interviewed and selected for the apprenticeship will be expected to complete a minimum of 8 weeks probation with Simpact. This is separate arrangement to the apprenticeship which will only start on successful completion of this probation period.
Our projects are diverse and client driven, so we are unable to say how you will typically split your time, but it is fair to say that you will be expected to mainly carry out practical engineering/prototyping but depending on your capability, you may be included in our more CAE (Computer Aided Engineering) activities.
About the employer
Since 2000, Simpact has been completely dedicated to designing advanced structures and maximising impact performance.
In 2000, Dirk Landheer and Tim Williams founded Simpact to put the knowledge and expertise gained from their PhDs in automotive safety into practise. Simpact helped to shape the CAE revolution in automotive safety development and continuously pushed boundaries by applying innovative techniques.
In 2007, Simpact began to redefine itself by embarking on an active programme of diversification. The aim was to reduce reliance on the cyclic automotive market and seek out new markets that have not yet experienced the benefits of the CAE revolution. In addition to Automotive, Simpact has now broadened its market coverage to include Defence, Aerospace, Industrial and Consumer.
Today, Simpact make full use of their vast experience, academic backgrounds and relationships to conduct cutting edge R&D and project work. By continuing to work closely with the UK’s top Universities, Simpact has exclusive access to the latest techniques and state-of-the-art technology.
Safety has always been at the centre of everything we do. Some of our work saves lives, and as we grow and diversify, this is what continues to drive us.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Warwickshire College
Level 3 Engineering Technician apprenticeship standard, Product Design & Development pathway, which includes:
- Level 3 Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours
- Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Development Competence) - NVQ
- Level 3 Diploma or Extended Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Development Knowledge)
- Level 2 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Foundation Competence)
- Level 2 Award for Foundation Phase Gateway Assessment
- Level 2 Functional Skills in English and maths (if applicable)
- End Point Assessment (EPA)
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.