Apprentice Site Technician Walton Priory Middle School
To work under the direction and instruction of senior staff to provide routine caretaking, maintenance and site safety tasks to support the effective operation of the school.
Closing date: 17 Jun 2022
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 37.00
Possible start date
20 Jun 2022
08 Feb 2022
Level 2 (GCSE)
Security and Safety
- Unlock and secure premises at agreed times and maintain the key(s) in their possession for emergency call-out.
- Check that the heating and lighting systems are operating satisfactorily and checking their efficiency with regard to energy conservation.
- Check fire and/or security alarms are working satisfactorily.
- Ensure that premises are in a safe, tidy and satisfactory condition prior to use. In the morning this will normally require attendance until a member of staff arrives.
- Maintain vigilance for Health and Safety concerns in and around the building including checking outside area for syringes, broken glass etc. and disposing appropriately.
Maintenance and Cleaning
- Dispose of such waste materials arising from the use of the premises as are not covered by alternative arrangements.
- Replace such consumables on the premises in appropriate locations as are not covered by alternative arrangements, e.g. toilet rolls, soap, towels, etc.
- Clean designated areas not covered by alternative arrangements, e.g. outside areas, car parks, drains, boiler house, stores etc. This may include cleaning up after contractors during school closure periods.
- To arrange to clear blockages, remove foreign matter from sinks, toilets, drains, and clean up spillages as required.
- In the event of a burst or leaking water pipe, the water supply should be turned off, spillage removed and furnishings cleaned.
- Remove spillages and resultant stains from floors and other surfaces.
- Carry out the removal of debris from gullies, drains etc. and that the school and ground are litter free. Litter bins are to be emptied and the contents disposed of on a daily basis.
- Ensure clear and safe pedestrian access to the school particularly in adverse weather conditions (e.g. snow clearing, gritting).
- Minor repairs to include minor plumbing, joinery, electrical work and internal decoration and maintenance, e.g. replacing door handles, replacing light bulbs/plugs with appropriate training.
- Minor plant maintenance in accordance with agreed working practices, e.g. lubrication of heating pumps as appropriate.
Painting and Decorating
- Temporary making good of colour wash, e.g. when cabinets are moved, and the blotting out of graffiti. Making good paint work e.g. touching up scratch damage. To undertake repairs, projects and redecoration tasks as appropriate.
- Minor repairs to fixtures and fittings such as replacing locks.
- Minor repairs to furniture, replacing door and window catches.
- Minor improvements such as the erection of small shelves, display and notice boards.
- Unblocking sinks, traps and waste pipes. Adjustment and rewashering of taps. Stopping leaks.
- General portage and collection activities as required including setting up and clearing away furniture.
- To attend to, where necessary, personnel visiting the site such as contractors, representatives of utilities (gas, electric) and monitor any work being carried out within the postholder's area of responsibility.
- Attend to the replacement of paper towels, toilet rolls and soap in toilets and teaching areas, e.g. Technology, Science, Art and Craft.
Support to School (this list is not exhaustive and should reflect the ethos of the school)
- Promote and safeguard the welfare of children and young persons you are responsible for or come into contact with.
- Be aware of and comply with policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person.
- Be aware of, support and ensure equal opportunities for all.
- Contribute to the overall ethos/work/aims of the school.
- Appreciate and support the role of other professionals.
- Attend and participate in relevant meetings as required.
- Participate in training and other learning activities and performance development as required.
- Assist with pupil needs as appropriate during the school day.
The postholder will be expected to observe safe working practices in carrying out the required duties and ensure that instructions specified by technical consultants, contractors and manufactures are adhered to.
Requirements and prospects
Practical skills or interest in repairs and maintenance.
Has a friendly yet professional and respectful approach which demonstrates support and shows mutual respect.
GCSE or equivalent in English and Maths preferred but not essential.
Upon successful completion of the apprenticeship there may be the possibility of a permanent role.
About the employer
Walton Priory Middle School was the first purpose built middle school in Staffordshire and rapidly became the centre of national attention following its opening in 1974. Educational experts from far and wide visited the school to see how its innovative form of education was to be delivered.
It was deemed to be so successful that imitations of the building's construction soon became evident around Staffordshire. Success and excellence have been central to the school's philosophy ever since and remain the focus of our attention and efforts to this day.
Although the name of the school reminds us of the distant past, we take pride in our commitment to build on the best traditions of history and combine these with the best of present educational practice to prepare our pupils for the technological age of the future
IXION HOLDINGS (CONTRACTS) LIMITED
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Ixion Holdings (Contracts) Limited
Katy Ash Katy.Ash@ixionholdings.com
Level 2 property maintenance operative.
- Ixion Holdings will provide the Apprenticeship Standard.
- Ixion Holdings will complete functional skills where necessary.
- Ixion Holdings will ensure Health & Safety, British Values and Equality & Diversity is embedded throughout the course.
Property maintenance operative
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.