Level 3 Agriculture Apprentice W J Heard
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the team at W J & J E Heard & Sons. The employer is looking for a keen individual to join the team as a Level 3 Livestock Technician on their beef, sheep and arable farm.
Closing date: 23 May 2022
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
05 Sep 2022
07 Feb 2022
Level 3 (A level)
Lutsford Farm is looking for someone who has the interest in building their agricultural experience and practical knowledge. A keen interest in livestock is essential, although you will gain a broad understanding of all trades performed on the farm. General yard work will include:
- Feeding the animals - making up the feed and measuring ingredients
- Preparing bedding and mucking out
- Animal care and management
- Supporting with calving and lambing
- Cleaning the yard
- Livestock work – TB testing and helping the farmer with vaccinating when necessary
- Tractor driving (once trained). This would include rolling, loader work, muck spreading, mowing and topping
- Fencing and estate maintenance
- General farm work as directed by the farmer or supervisor
The apprentice will work closely with the farmer as you will be an essential part of the business. You will learn primarily on the job and gain an industry recognised qualification. As with all farming jobs, you will need to love the industry, working with animals and working outside in ALL weathers. You will need to be very reliable and punctual; farming is an industry where hard graft and a good attitude is needed.
Requirements and prospects
Applicants are expected to be:
- Wishing to build a career in the agriculture industry
- Flexible in working hours
- Happy and able to work outdoors in all weathers
- Practical and hands on in attitude
- Able to listen and to work to given instructions
- Positive in attitude
- Eager to learn
- Excellent at timekeeping
- Able to work well as part of a team
- GCSE Maths & English at Grade 4 (C) or above
- Level 2 qualification in Agriculture
A long-term employment opportunity will be created for the apprentice, upon successful completion of the apprenticeship.
Things to consider
- Flexibility is naturally important. You will be released from the workplace in order to attend your training days at Stoke Climsland. Please ensure that you are able to get to and from the farm, as well as accessing the college.
- Alternate weekend working may be requested.
- There is the opportunity for wages to increase - depending on experience, skills and attitude demonstrated.
About the employer
A beef, sheep and arable farm in Hartland, Bideford, is pleased to be able to offer an agriculture apprenticeship opportunity. The successful candidate will be trained in all aspects of livestock farming, alongside some farm and land maintenance activities.
W J Heard
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Duchy College
- You will be working towards a Level 3 Livestock Unit Technician Apprenticeship Standard.
- You will receive on and off the job training and support from an assessor and an apprenticeship advisor.
- You will be required to attend Duchy College Stoke Climsland on a weekly basis as part of the apprenticeship training.
Livestock unit technician
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.