An apprentice is required for the growing and looking after hardy shrubs and tress- including watering, weeding and potting to a high level. You will be learning about different shrubs and general maintenance of tools and machinery. There will also be some landscaping work involved.
Apprentice Horticulture Worker
Closing date: 06 Mar 2017
Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year.
The minimum wage rates are £5.55 an hour for 18-20 year olds and £6.95 for anyone aged 21 and over.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Monday to Thursday 8am to 4.30pm Friday 8am to 4pm
Total hours per week: 30.00
Possible start date
13 Mar 2017
27 Jan 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
- A lot of weeding, potting of small cuttings up to large shrubs. You will need to be physically fit and work in all conditions inside and out.
- You will learn all about the shrubs and trees you are dealing with and there is a certain amount of I.T work computer labelling for batches of plants and colour labels for garden centres.
- General nursery maintenance, fencing, cleaning of tunnels and beds.
- Learning to drive compact tractors with trailers and maintaining them, also any tools you use.
Requirements and prospects
Physically fit, interest in plants and general maintenance and willing to learn.
Keen, Hardworking and honest with a sense of humour. Able to work to a high level and takes pride in their job no matter what it is. Communicates well with others and a works well within a team.
GSCE Maths and English A-G or equivalent
Please state above on application for it to be processed.
Potential for permanent position on the team on successful completion of the Apprenticeship.
Things to consider
We are 2 to 3 miles from the nearest village Rosliston/Coton in the Elms. There is no bus route so own transport or reliable lift needed. We shut down for 3 weeks over Christmas period and in extreme weather due to rural location. From the 1st October 2016 The National Minimum Wage (NMW) rate for apprentices is £3.40 per hour. From April 2017 this rises to £3.50 per hour. This applies to 16-18 year old apprentices and those aged 19 and over in the first year of their Apprenticeship. For all other apprentices the National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies. The Minimum Wage for Apprentices applies to time spent on the job plus time spent training.
About the employer
A plant nursery located in Swadlincote, which sells a wide range of trees, shrubs, conifers and climbing plants.
- Intermediate Apprenticeship in Horticulture Level 2
- Functional Skills in Maths and English if needed
- ERR (Employee Rights and Responsibilities).
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by DART Ltd (Dales Agricultural Rural Training)
Sue Kelly 01332 794910 firstname.lastname@example.org
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 06 Mar 2017