Apprentice Dental Nurse Cottage Dental Practice
The Cottage Dental Practice are looking to recruit an apprentice. This is an exciting opportunity that has arisen for an Apprentice Dental Nurse to join our friendly team.
Closing date: 15 Jun 2022
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 44.00
(the hours are based on the candidate being over 18)
Possible start date
25 Jun 2022
25 Jan 2022
Level 3 (A level)
The role of an Apprentice Dental Nurse encompasses:
- Preparing and maintaining the dental equipment, instruments and materials within a dental surgery
- Carrying out infection control and decontamination procedures
- Recording dental charting carried out by clinicians
- Preparing, mixing and handling dental materials
- Providing chairside support to dentists, therapists and hygienists throughout a range of dental procedures
- Providing support and reassurance to patients
- Providing administration support in making appointments, taking payments and dealing with paperwork
An experienced dental nurse will use his/her knowledge of dentistry to anticipate what is needed during treatment sessions, a skill that is highly valued by the clinician.
On completion of your probation period with the employer, you will be enrolled onto the college course and will gain a professional certificate - Extended Diploma in Dental Nursing at Level 3 which will enable you to register with the GDC as a dental care professional.
Requirements and prospects
- You must be a team player with good written and verbal communication skills, excellent organisational skills and good manual dexterity
- This role will require you to travel to other practices to cover, therefore you need to be able to adapt to new situations and work well using your own initiative
- We expect a friendly, responsible attitude and positive approach to people
- The dental nurse must be well presented and show a willingness to study
- Apprentices must maintain a high level of personal hygiene presenting a clean, neat, tidy, smart, safe and practical appearance at work. Apprentices attending training should not be wearing work uniform. Work uniform must not be worn entering or leaving the Practice. Footwear should be of a nature that protects the apprentice, flat closed toe shoes (not fabric)
- Work tunics/scrubs should be presentable and clean every day. Jewellery worn must be consistent with health and safety and professional standards and must not obstruct or prevent an apprentice carrying out their duties. Small stud earrings and a wedding band are the only acceptable forms of jewellery
- Nails should be short and free of polish, false nails, including but not limited to, shellac, acrylic and gel will not be tolerated
- Hair must be kept clean and tied back, hairpieces are not tolerated
- Eyelashes must be natural, false eyelashes are not permitted
- Make up should be kept to a minimum to maintain a professional image
- To be accepted onto the apprenticeship, you must hold GCSEs at grades C/4 or above (or equivalent or Functional Skills at Level 2) in both maths and English
There are a wide range of opportunities available to enable registered dental nurses to extend their clinical duties and develop their knowledge and skills within particular areas of interest, for example:
- Dental radiography
- Oral health education
- Sedation dental nursing
- Orthodontic dental nursing
- Special care dental nursing
- Oral surgery dental nursing
- Taking dental impressions
- The application of topical fluoride
Dental nurses may also progress onto university to become a dental hygienist/therapist.
Things to consider
You will be required to undertake Hepatitis B immunisations, a face fitting for a surgical mask and have a clear DBS check to work in a clinical setting.
Also, have had your Covid vaccinations.
About the employer
Bhandal Dental Practice is a dentistry organisation serving both NHS and private patients. Bhandal Dental gives the patients access to an extensive range of dental services, from cosmetic and general dentistry to specialist services such as orthodontics, sedation and emergency dentistry. Bhandal Dental work to make sure that the patients have easy and convenient access to the best possible dental care.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Sandwell College
Jayne Acquaye 0121 667 5018 firstname.lastname@example.org
College lessons are delivered by Sandwell College in the workplace/online.
You will be trained in the City and Guilds Level 3 Dental Nurse apprenticeship standard, which includes:
- Level 3 Extended Diploma in Dental Nursing
- Emergency first aid in the workplace qualification at Level 3
- End-Point Assessment (EPA)
Completion of this qualification will enable candidates to register with the GDC as a qualified dental nurse. The practice also offers a full in-house training programme to cover the practical aspect of the job role.
Dental nurse (integrated)
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.