Science Laboratory Technician Apprentice Forge Valley School
To assist in the preparation of science practical work and to give general support to the teaching staff within the Science Department. To support the Science Faculty in administration and organisation of resources and equipment.
Closing date: 30 May 2022
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 32.00
Possible start date
31 May 2022
25 Jan 2022
Level 3 (A level)
- To ensure the safe, efficient and effective day to day running of the Faculty
- To support teaching staff in the preparation of resources and equipment for lessons
- To comply with Health and Safety regulations
- To promote and safeguard the welfare of children you come into contact with
- Maintenance of stock levels of equipment in all Laboratories and preparation room
- Make purchase of supplies for use in lessons, as and when required
- Maintain an accurate inventory of all apparatus and equipment. Monitor and control an efficient stock control system and associated records for the department
- Receive and check deliveries and associated invoices informing the appropriate person of discrepancies
- Maintaining records textbooks and other resources on loan to staff and students
- Provide appropriate care of plants and animals kept for Science Education purposes
Health and Safety
- Maintain up to date knowledge and understanding of all Health and Safety regulations as well as new developments in legislation and complete safety audits as directed on science equipment and laboratory facilities
- Undertake formal COSHH risk assessment procedures as and when required
- Maintain up to date Health and Safety advice for department staff
- Ensure laboratories and preparation rooms are clean and tidy of all apparatus and any spillage of chemicals. Cleaning of all laboratory fittings, equipment and the care of sinks
- Undertake routine maintenance, safety checks and cleaning of laboratory equipment carrying out or organising repairs for faulty equipment and reporting other identified faults as necessary
- Safe storage and/or disposal of apparatus, materials, chemical, biological and radioactive waste materials in accordance with school procedures and legal requirements/regulations, reporting to the relevant source any deterioration and defects in equipment, materials and of supply services (electrical/gas/water)
- Assist in the promotion and observance of a safe working environment in associated work areas, including contributing to writing and reviewing risk assessments, review safety procedures and distributing safety information for students and colleagues using the laboratories and preparation room
- Ensure that all chemicals have COSHH/CLEAPS records
- Ensure stores remain locked at all times when not occupied
- Operate all relevant information and recording systems, including cataloguing, filing, inventories, and legal records e.g. relating to Health & Safety or equipment/appliance testing
- Report all accidents, incidents and dangerous occurrences to the Head of Department and appropriate staff
- Wear appropriate protective clothing as provided
- Preparation, assembly, storage, delivery and collection of science apparatus, chemicals and materials, as directed, for use in the laboratories during lessons and examinations
- When required Assist teaching staff and students, including beginning teachers, in lessons as and when required, e.g. assisting to trial experiments before it is demonstrated in the classroom
- When required give advice and guidance to teaching staff, as appropriate, on scientific equipment and procedures needed for lessons i.e. advise on best experimental approach and safety recommendations
- Contribute to the completion of risk assessments
- Under the guidance of the teacher, support individual or groups of pupils during practical aspects of the science curriculum
- Contribute to the development and implementation of new courses in close liaison with the of science teaching staff
- Attending, participating and representing technicians in learning area meetings and local technicians meetings
- Attending external meetings and training courses
- Design and construction of particular pieces of apparatus as needed, including new apparatus
- Setting up computers for use with data collection equipment
- Use of ICT to reorganise stock control and departmental administration
- Report Faculty maintenance issues, including ICT, to Faculty leaders and appropriate staff
The person undertaking this role is expected to work within the policies, ethos and aims of the Academy and to carry out such other duties as may reasonably be assigned by the Principal. The post holder will be expected to have an agreed flexible working pattern to ensure that all relevant functions, including extra-curricular activities, are fulfilled through direct dialogue with employees, contractors and community members.
The above responsibilities are subject to the general duties and responsibilities contained in the Statement of Conditions of Employment.
The duties of this post may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the post or level of responsibility entailed.
The post holder will be subject to performance objectives agreed annually with the relevant body and these objectives will be reviewed annually.
Requirements and prospects
- Computer literate
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work on your own initiative
- Desired: Experience of mentoring young people
We are looking for an organised, helpful and mindful individual with the following:
- Commitment and an interest to develop a career in Science education
- Full participation in the training provided
- Attend appropriate training center and complete work/assignments on time
- Be motivated, pro-active and use initiative
- Be punctual and organized
- Treat people with respect and fairness
- Take personal responsibility for own learning
- Health and Safety minded / Knowledge of COSHH regulations
- GCSE (or equivalent) English and maths, grades A*-C 9/4or Functional Skills Level 2
Things to consider
All apprenticeships require an Enhanced DBS check before the commencement of the role due to working with children.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week), For more information please visit: https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
About the employer
Our vision is that Forge Valley School is a safe, inclusive learning community where students and staff learn and thrive together. Forge Valley's ethos is based upon everyone striving to become their very best.
As a school we believe that ambition and endeavour provide our students with the mind-set needed, not only to succeed academically, but in adult life in an ever changing modern world. Our students are encouraged to become independent thinkers, develop foresight and believe that with hard work and resilience, they can achieve their dreams. We are an inclusive school which works hard to provide stimulating learning experiences for all our students, who are seen as individuals. We work tirelessly to provide a nurturing environment which protects childhood and prepares for adulthood. Everyone at Forge Valley is part of our community, which is founded on empathy, respect, tolerance and equality.
Success at Forge Valley is not just measured in terms of academic performance. We aim to develop our students into reflective, confident, innovative, morally grounded, ambitious and resilient individuals ready to take their part in a dynamic and diverse 21st century.
Let Me Play Ltd
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Let Me Play Ltd
Steffan Holder +447749859858 Steffan.Holder@lmpeducation.org
- Level 3 Laboratory Technician
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.