Arboriculture Apprentice Halton Housing
Do you have a passion to work outdoors and build a career in Arboriculture? Halton Housing are looking to recruit an Apprentice to assist their busy Tree Team maintaining the open spaces in our communities. This is a fantastic opportunity to work with our experienced professionals and learn and develop your skills to become a Tree Specialist.
Closing date: 23 Jan 2022
Total hours per week: 37.00
Possible start date
01 Mar 2022
04 Jan 2022
Level 2 (GCSE)
Halton Housing are looking to recruit an Apprentice to assist in their busy Tree Team in Runcorn and Widnes. This is a fantastic opportunity for anyone with a keen interest in pursuing a career specialising in tree work.
The ideal candidate would be local to the Halton area, but be able to travel to Myerscough College in line with the College course requirements. They would be keen to learn, hardworking, reliable & have some interest or experience in tree work. We need a committed individual who will assist in providing an efficient and quality service in our communities.
Your training will include:
- Gaining skills related to a full range of tree work including pruning, felling, shaping, stump grinding, using full safety and climbing equipment
- Undertaking general clearance and chipping of brash etc. in order to complete jobs quickly and efficiently
- There will also be log cutting/splitting and stacking of logs
In addition to this you will work with the wider Grounds Team to undertake general horticultural and maintenance works as required due to seasonal workloads:
- Carrying out a range of horticultural and cleansing operations to open spaces and individual gardens
- Undertake various hard and soft landscape improvement works such as paving, grass cutting, building of raised beds, food growing areas, tree, shrub and bulb planting and wildflower meadows
Chainsaw boots/trousers and helmet are required in this role; provision of these will be discussed at interview.
You will work 37 hours per week between 7:30am (earliest start) and 3:30pm (latest finish), Monday to Friday.
You will be paid a salary of £18,278 which equates to £9.50 per hour (the National Living Wage).
Training will be provided in the workplace with workshops once or twice a month at Myerscough College (Preston Campus) where you will work towards the Level 2 Arborist Apprenticeship Standard.
Requirements and prospects
- The ability to work as part of a team or on own initiative
- The ideal candidate must be keen to learn, enjoy a challenge, be honest, hardworking, reliable and personable and have a keen interest in tree work
- Due to the nature of the work they must possess a good level of fitness and strength and be motivated to work outdoors in all weathers
- Qualifications demonstrating sound literacy and numeracy skills (e.g. GCSE English and maths A*-C or equivalent qualifications) are desirable
- Please ensure you have listed all qualifications & grades/predicted grades in the appropriate section of this application, paying particular attention to maths & English
- Candidates will be screened as part of the recruitment process and must be able to work at Level 1 in Functional Skills (Maths and English) in order to undertake this Apprenticeship
- Please note that candidates with any qualification at the same level or above in the same subject are ineligible for funding and will not be considered for an Apprenticeship
Possibility to progress on to the Advanced Apprenticeship or secure a role within the existing team.
Things to consider
Your work day will begin and end at Waterfront Point, Widnes. Our office is situated close to motorway links and a local bus route.
As the qualification is being delivered by Myerscough College in Preston, there will be a requirement for the successful candidate to drive and have access to a vehicle as transport links to Myerscough are limited from the Halton area.
In addition to classroom activities at their Preston campus, Myerscough will conduct practical sessions whereby it will be the students responsibility to meet at designated forestry areas and take required tools to use on the day.
You will be expected to work outdoors in all weather conditions
To ensure your application has the best chance of being considered for the vacancy you must provide information on all qualifications undertaken stating highest grades achieved in every subject, paying particular attention to maths and English. Along with this you need to state any previous work experience.
Please note that if your application is unsuccessful, you will be notified via the “Find An Apprenticeship” service. If you have been shortlisted for interview, you will be contacted by the employer after the closing date has passed (please note that this may be via telephone number or email address that you have provided).
If you are invited for interview but are unable to attend for whatever reason please notify the employer ASAP otherwise you may not be considered for future vacancies.
N.B. Depending on volume of applications this vacancy may close early, therefore early application is advisable.
About the employer
An innovative housing provider, with over 7,000 homes across Cheshire and the Northwest - firmly placing customers at the heart of everything we do.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Myerscough College
Employer Services 01995642255 firstname.lastname@example.org
Training will be provided in the workplace through Myerscough College where you will work towards the Level 2 Arborist Apprenticeship
The following licence to practice qualifications would be required prior to end point assessment:
• Level 2 award in emergency first aid at work
• Level 2 award in safe use of brushwood chipper
• Traffic Management (NRSWA Unit 002 Signing, Lighting and Guarding) OR Sector Scheme 12D
• Level 2 award in chainsaw maintenance
• Level 2 award in crosscutting timber using a chainsaw • Level 2 award in felling and processing trees up to 380mm
• Level 2 award in accessing a tree using a rope and harness
• Level 3 award in aerial tree rescue operations
• Level 3 award in aerial cutting of trees using free fall techniques
• Level 2 award in safe use of mobile elevated work platform
• Level 3 award in use of a chainsaw from a Mobile Elevated Work Platform (MEWP)
Apprentices without Level 1 English and maths will need to achieve this level and take the test for Level 2 English and maths prior to taking the end-point assessment.
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.