Print Technician Apprentice FIRST GRAPHIC COMMUNICATIONS LIMITED
First Design Print Web is a small independent business providing graphic design, printing and websites to business clients both locally and nationally. This is a great opportunity for the right candidate to undertake a Print Technician Apprenticeship.
Closing date: 12 Dec 2021
Total hours per week: 37.50
Possible start date
02 Feb 2022
12 Nov 2021
Level 3 (A level)
We produce a wide range of printed products at our digital print works in Porlock. Our core values are:
1) Refinement and quality of products
2) Professional, fiduciary service to our clients
3) Speed of delivery.
We celebrate our successes and don’t dwell on mistakes - we’re always looking forward.
Every day we produce beautiful bespoke print for our clients in our small digital print facility in Porlock. People choose print when it’s important - celebrating an occasion, launching a new product or hosting an event. The items we print are important and highly valued by our clients.
This is an exciting and varied role for a motivated, practical, person with great attention to detail. You will take care of the whole production process: looking up files, printing, finishing, packing and despatching. You’ll also ensure the smooth running of the department - ordering stocks, dealing with suppliers and improving processes. Every job, every day, is unique.
This is not a production-line job. Print is a unique blend of art, craft, science and commerce. The role can be pressured so a cool head is vital.
- Deciding on product priorities with team
- File lookup and preparing files for print
- Printing jobs on a Xerox digital press
- Trimming, creasing, folding, booklet making using a variety of automatic machines
- Packing and despatching jobs
- Dealing with suppliers and contractors
- Assisting clients by phone and email
- Updating records in production software
- Working as part of a small close-knit team
- Refining and improving processes for greater quality and efficiency
Requirements and prospects
- Good computer skills
- Ability to use various machinery
- Ability to follow instructions
- Ability to adhere to H&S procedures
- Undertake periods of strenuous activity
- Good communication skills – face-to-face and ‘phone
- Good written communication
- Good level of literacy
- Excellent attention to detail
- IT Savvy
- Keen to learn new skills
- Good professional appearance
- Passionate about the printing industry
- Pride in your work
- Ability to work under pressure
- Willingness to operate outside comfort zone
It would be an advantage to have GCSEs in the 4 to 9 (A* to C) range or equivalent for English and maths, but this is not essential as you will complete Functional Skills as part of the apprenticeship if necessary.
The successful candidate will also need to complete a diagnostic assessment, which will help us plan the appropriate support required to meet your individual needs.
Potential for full time employment on completion of the apprenticeship.
Things to consider
Ability to get to and from work – have own means of transport or reliable lifts.
This is a strenuous role due to the nature of products being produced.
Pay review after first year.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week). https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
About the employer
Bridgwater & Taunton College
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Bridgwater & Taunton College
Level 3 Print Technician Apprenticeship Standard:
- L3 Print Technician Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours
- Level 2 Functional Skills English (exemptions apply)
- Level 2 Functional Skills Maths (exemptions apply)
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.