Customer Service Apprentice Helston Folk Museum
The Museum of Cornish Life is offering an exciting opportunity to join a friendly team as a Customer Service Apprentice. The museum is a fun place to work where something different happens each day.
Closing date: today
Total hours per week: 30.00
Possible start date
01 Feb 2022
11 Nov 2021
Level 2 (GCSE)
Working with a small staff team (Director, Community Engagement Curator, Finds Liaison Officer and Trainee Curator) and a large team of volunteers you will carry out a broad range of roles with a focus on customer service.
This role will fulfil part of the museum’s National Portfolio Organisation (NPO) commitments as identified within Cornwall Museum Partnership’s application to the Arts Council England for 2018-2023. The focus of the role will be customer services through welcoming visitors, retail, helping with exhibitions/events and sharing the story of the museum digitally. Working with a small staff team (Director, Community Engagement Curator, Finds Liaison Officer and Intern) and a large team of volunteers you will get to experience all aspects of working with the public in museums. The role will provide you with work based training opportunities developing your knowledge and experience of museums.
Daily duties will involve:
- Greeting visitors and working in the reception
- Working in the museum shop including sales and restocking the displays
- Stocking up the tourist information point leaflets and helping with tourist enquiries
- Collecting visitor surveys and inputting data online
- Taking bookings for museum visits and events
- Administrative tasks such as photocopying and answering the phone
- Assisting the team with marketing such as daily social media checks and poster distribution
- Assisting in maintaining the high presentation of the museum to visitor such as weeding the outdoor space and cleaning touch points in the galleries
- Assisting with museum activities such as exhibitions and events
- Working with volunteers
Requirements and prospects
- Ability to multi-task
- Organised and tidy
- Strong people skills
- Good conversational skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
- Empathetic and can understand different viewpoints
- Ability to stay calm under pressure
- A friendly and 'can-do' attitude
- Team player
- Like learning new things
- GCSE maths and English at Grade C or 4 (or equivalent) is desirable but not essential.
- Experience of working in a customer service role would be advantageous
- It is hoped that the successful applicant will complete the apprenticeship and progress into either a Customer Service Role or into the Arts and Culture sector. Our 3 previous apprentices have all progressed into full time employment in a range of customer facing roles in business
Things to consider
- You will be asked on occasion to work out of hours to support events. You will also work with a museum collection and will be trained in object handling
- All training and including travel costs to attend training will be covered by the employer with the role having £1000 allocated
About the employer
The Museum was founded in 1949 and is housed in the Grade II Listed former Market House and Drill Hall. The Museum's collection reflects both the social and industrial history of Helston and the surrounding area, from mining, fishing and farming through to home life in the 18th - 20th centuries. An accredited museum, Helston has one of the most significant social history and costume collections in Cornwall.
CORNWALL APPRENTICESHIP AGENCY LIMITED
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Cornwall Apprenticeship Agency Limited
Lynne Dunn 01326211382 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Level 2 Customer Service Practitioner Standard
- Maths and English Funcational Skills (if required)
Customer service practitioner
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.