Apprentice Operations Assistant (Business Administrator) Wallis Shipping Services Limited
The position would be suitable for someone looking to build a career in freight forwarding operations. You will gain experience in all areas of importing and exporting of worldwide shipments, ensuring all activities are undertaken to maximize levels of customer satisfaction and in strict compliance with export and other shipping regulations.
Closing date: 03 Feb 2022
Total hours per week: 37.50
Possible start date
17 Feb 2022
08 Nov 2021
Level 3 (A level)
As part of this role you will be required to study towards the Business Administrator Level 3 Apprenticeship Standard at Colchester Institute.
Key duties will include;
- Preparation of shipping / transport quotations for imports, exports and UK transport.
- Booking shipments with airlines, shipping lines and trailer operators and agreeing prices.
- Entering bookings into our bespoke shipment software.
- Preparation and distribution of documentation.
- Expediting shipments and dealing with queries.
- Processing of supplier and customer invoices, ensuring costs are correct on the bespoke software.
- Communicating with carriers, suppliers and clients via telephone and email.
- Quality focus – ensuring work is completed to a high standard with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Apply problem solving skills to resolve challenging or complex complaints.
- Report and escalate to Supervisor / Manager as required.
- Update and review databases, record information and produce data analysis where required.
- Make recommendations for improvements and present solutions to management.
The successful applicant would not be expected to do all the above immediately and would be trained on each aspect in turn.
Requirements and prospects
- Confident speaking and writing skills.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communicator – able to build relationships with clients and colleagues.
- Good time management and organisational skills.
- Able to plan and prioritise workload.
- Lots of enthusiasm.
- ‘Can do’ attitude and commitment.
- Pleasant and clear telephone manner.
- Good customer service understanding.
- Ability to demonstrate a genuine interest in Logistics.
- Essential: GCSE grades C/4, equivalent or above in maths and English
- All candidates will be required to complete Colchester Institute's mandatory initial assessment process before being put forward to the company. This will consist of online assessments
- Upon successful completion of an Apprenticeship, we anticipate this role would become a permanent Operations Assistant role, with good training and development opportunities.
Things to consider
- Colchester Institute – Apprenticeship Team manage the applications to this role and you will be required to complete our initial assessment process before your application gets sent onto the employer.
- Please be advised that the closing date for this role could be brought forward or extended if this vacancy receives a high number or low number of applicants and/or the company recruit before the closing date.
- Whilst there are possible closing and start dates should you be available earlier this can be negotiated with the employer.
About the employer
Wallis Shipping is an international freight forwarder. Specialising in international ocean freight and airfreight for all types of industries.
Wallis operates from a Colchester Head Office with three other freight forwarding office locations in the UK.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Colchester Institute
Colchester Institute - Apprenticeship Team 01206 712043 email@example.com
All delivered within the work place via online training and at Colchester Institute Campus.
Candidates will undertake the Business Administrator Level 3 apprenticeship standard.
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.