Business Administration / Receptionist Apprentice Abbey Lane Surgery
Abbey Lane Surgery are looking for a Business Administration / Receptionist Apprentice to join their team. You will work towards a Level 3 Business Administrator apprenticeship standard.
Closing date: 04 Feb 2022
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 37.00
Possible start date
07 Feb 2022
13 Sep 2021
Level 3 (A level)
This role is based between two sites - Abbey Lane (23 Abbey Ln, Woodseats, Sheffield S8 0BJ) and Totley Rise Medical (96 Baslow Rd, Totley, Sheffield S17 4DQ), so ideally you should be able to drive.
- To have a thorough knowledge of all practice procedures
- To work in accordance of written protocols
- Pulling/filing notes for surgeries and updating as necessary
- Filing post in medical records
- Fax and photocopy as requested
- Receiving patients, consulting with members of practice team
- Handing completed repeat prescriptions to patient and checking names and address
- Be able to cover all reception position as necessary
- Process appointment requests for today/future appointments from patients by telephone and in person
- Deal with visits/requests
- Registrations of new patients - computer data entry and medical records
- Process patients’ changes of address - computer data and medical records (have knowledge of practice area)
- Process repeat prescription requests in accordance with practice guidelines
- Taking telephone calls from patients and directing their queries appropriately
- Calling patients with messages from the GPs or other clinicians
- Clear rooms after surgeries
- Ensure building security - have thorough knowledge of doors/windows/alarm
- Any other tasks allocated by managers
- In the course of seeking treatment, patients entrust us with or allow us to gather, sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters. They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately
- In the performance of the duties outlined in this job description, the post-holder may have access to confidential information relating to patients and their careers, practice staff and other healthcare workers. They may also have access to information relating to the practice as a business organisation. All such information from any source is to be regarded as strictly confidential
- Information relating to patients, carers, colleagues, other healthcare workers or the business of the practice may only be divulged to authorised persons in accordance with the practice policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data
Health and safety:
The post-holder will assist in promoting and maintaining their own and others’ health, safety and security as defined in the practice health and safety policy, the practice health and safety manual and the practice infection control policy and published procedures.
This will include:
- Using personal security systems within the workplace according to practice guidelines
- Identifying the risks involved in work activities and undertaking such activities in a way that manages those risks
- Making effective use of training to update knowledge and skills
- Using appropriate infection control procedures, maintaining work areas in a tidy and safe way and free from hazards
- Actively reporting of health and safety hazards and infection hazards immediately when recognised
- Keeping own work areas and general/patient areas generally clean, assisting in the maintenance of general standards of cleanliness consistent with the scope of the job holder’s role
- Undertaking periodic infection control training (minimum annually)
- Reporting potential risks identified
- Demonstrate due regard for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children
Equality and Diversity:
The post-holder will support the equality, diversity and rights of patients, carers, and colleagues, to include:
- Acting in a way that recognises the importance of people’s rights, interpreting them in a way that is consistent with practice procedures and policies, and current legislation
- Respecting the privacy, dignity, needs and beliefs of patients, carers, and colleagues
- Behaving in a manner that is welcoming to and of the individual, is non-judgmental and respects their circumstances, feelings priorities and rights
The post-holder will participate in any training programme implemented by the practice as part of this employment, with such training to include:
- Participation in an annual individual performance review, including taking responsibility for maintaining a record of own personal and/or professional development
- Taking responsibility for own development, learning and performance and demonstrating skills and activities to others who are undertaking similar work
The post-holder will strive to maintain quality within the practice and will:
- Alert other team members to issues of quality and risk
- Assess own performance and take accountability for own actions, either directly or under supervision
- Contribute to the effectiveness of the team by reflecting on own and team activities and making suggestions on ways to improve and enhance the team’s performance
- Work effectively with individuals in other agencies to meet patients’ needs
- Effectively manage your own time, workload, and resources
Requirements and prospects
- Excellent communication skills
- Good listening skills
- Good telephone skills
- Well presented
- Attention to detail
GCSEs at grades C/4 or above (or equivalent) in maths and English.
- Potential for permanent role and/or progression at the end of the apprenticeship
- Once fully trained (usually 3-4 months), the pay will increase to £8/hr
- Potential job offer on completion of the apprenticeship
- The Apprentice will be enrolled to the NHS pension programme where the employer contributes 14%!
Things to consider
Please Note: This role is based between two sites- Abbey Lane (23 Abbey Ln, Woodseats, Sheffield S8 0BJ) and Totley Rise Medical (96 Baslow Rd, Totley, Sheffield S17 4DQ), so ideally you should drive.
As a medical receptionist, you will need to be compassionate, caring, professional and discrete, with a high level of organisation skills. Attention to detail is a must as you will be dealing with sensitive and confidential information on a daily basis.
About the employer
We are a well-established family doctors’ surgery based in the heart of the busy and popular Woodseats area in Sheffield 8. Our team aims to provide healthcare with courtesy, care and efficiency, referring you, where necessary, to colleagues in the primary health care team or hospital sector
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Chesterfield College
Hannah Donald 0345 850 1055 APLU@chesterfield.ac.uk
Level 3 Business Administrator apprenticeship standard, which includes:
- Level 2 Functional Skills in maths and English (if required)
- End-Point Assessment (EPA)
An apprenticeship allows you to earn a wage, gain valuable work experience and industry specific competence. You will be expected to work towards the Business Administrator standard, with support from your employer and Learning Unlimited.
As part of your apprenticeship and dependent on your prior attainment you may be required to complete maths, and English Functional Skills which is an integral part of your apprenticeship. Upon successful completion you will be awarded an additional certificates of recognition for these qualifications.
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.