Dental Nurse Apprenticeship Water Orton Dental Centre
An exciting opportunity has arisen for two trainee dental nurses to join our friendly teams at Water Orton and Solihull.
Closing date: 01 Oct 2021
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 35.00
Possible start date
04 Oct 2021
03 Sep 2021
Level 3 (A level)
The role of an Apprentice Dental Nurse encompasses:
- Preparing and maintaining the dental equipment, instruments and materials within a dental surgery
- Carrying out infection control and decontamination procedures
- Recording dental charting carried out by clinicians
- Preparing, mixing and handling dental materials
- Providing chair-side support to dentists, therapists and hygienists throughout a range of dental procedures
- Providing support and reassurance to patients
- Providing administration support in making appointments, taking payments and dealing with paperwork
An experienced dental nurse will use his/her knowledge of dentistry to anticipate what is needed during treatment sessions, a skill that is highly valued by the clinician.
On completion of your probation period with the employer, you will be enrolled onto the college course and will gain a professional certificate – Extended Diploma in Dental Nursing at Level 3 which will enable you to register with the GDC as a dental care professional.
Requirements and prospects
We expect a friendly, responsible attitude and positive approach to people. The dental nurse must be well presented and show a willingness to study. You must be team player with good written and verbal communication skills, excellent organisational skills and good manual dexterity. You need to be able to adapt to new situations and work well using your own initiative.
Apprentices must maintain a high level of personal hygiene presenting a clean, neat, tidy, smart, safe and practical appearance at work. Apprentices attending training should not be wearing work uniform. Work uniform must not be worn entering or leaving the practice.
Footwear should be of a nature that protects the apprentice, flat closed toe shoes (not fabric).
Work tunics/scrubs should be presentable and clean every day.
Jewellery worn must be consistent with health and safety and professional standards and must not obstruct or prevent an apprentice carrying out their duties. Small stud earrings and a wedding band are the only acceptable forms of jewellery.
Nails should be short and free of polish, false nails, including but not limited to, shellac, acrylic and gel will not be tolerated.
Hair must be kept clean and tied back.
Make up should be kept to a minimum to maintain a professional image.
- To be accepted onto the apprenticeship, you must be at least 16 years old and hold GCSEs at grades C/4 or above (or equivalent Functional Skills at Level 2) in both maths and English.
There are a wide range of opportunities available to enable registered dental nurses to extend their clinical duties and develop their knowledge and skills within particular areas of interest, for example:
- Dental radiography
- Oral health education
- Sedation dental nursing
- Implant nursing
- Orthodontic dental nursing
- Special care dental nursing
- Oral surgery dental nursing
- Taking dental impressions
- The application of topical fluoride
Dental nurses may also progress onto university to become a dental hygienist/therapist.
Things to consider
- You will be required to undertake Hepatitis B vacinations and a clear DBS check to work in the clinical setting.
About the employer
Busy dental practice in the Solihull area who are willing to support a trainee with an interest in a career in dental nursing.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Sandwell College
Natalie Green 07979141986 firstname.lastname@example.org
College lessons are delivered by Sandwell College in the workplace/online. You will not be required to travel to the college site.
You will be trained in the Extended City and Guilds Level 3 Dental Nurse apprenticeship standard, which includes:
- Extended Level 3 Diploma in Dental Nursing
- Emergency first aid in the workplace qualification at Level 3
- End-Point Assessment (EPA)
- Completion of this qualification will enable candidates to register with the GDC as a qualified dental nurse. The practice also offers a full in-house training programme to cover the practical aspect of the job role.
Dental nurse (integrated)
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.