Apprentice Sewing Machinist Specialised Covers
Work towards a Level 2 Sewing Machinist qualification whilst creating protective auto accessories for Formula 1 teams and top brands including Audi, Bentley, McLaren and Lamborghini. This is an exciting opportunity to learn whilst working on some top brands.
Closing date: 17 Nov 2021
£295.50 - £331.50
Total hours per week: 39.00
Possible start date
24 Nov 2021
23 Aug 2021
Level 2 (GCSE)
The Role of a Sewing Machinist is to provide support and assistance to areas of the business that require production and organisational tasks to be completed as part of the wider business needs. Staff at every level in Specialised Covers are responsible for, and contribute towards, the quality and success of our business. You will join our dedicated staff and be fully involved in all aspects of providing support to our production teams.
Your primary role is to assist in the manufacture of sewn goods, working with various fabrics to manufacture a wide variety of products.
You will have the ability to understand and react to instructions and requirements of your product leader in relation to basic sewing tasks. You will require basic numeracy, literacy and communication skills. We hope you will be able to demonstrate previous relevant experience and show that you are capable of learning to undertake the required tasks. You must be prepared to regularly change the tasks you are required to do and have a highly flexible approach to working with multiple teams.
Areas of Responsibility
- To operate Lockstitch and overlock sewing machines
- To operate eyeleting equipment and similar
- To undertake preventative maintenance and cleaning of equipment
- To adhere to good practice in relation to health & safety and working methods
- To assist in the manufacture of a wide range of fabric goods
- To assist in the organisation of materials for manufacture
- To ensure work area and environment is kept clean, tidy and organised
- Any other tasks reasonably required by line manager
- To understand basic patterns and construction documents
- Support the design team with creation of Technical spec sheets
Requirements and prospects
- Assist with the manufacture of sewn goods, working with various fabrics to manufacture a wide variety of products
- Ability to understand and react to instructions and requirements of your product leader in relation to basic sewing tasks
- Basic numeracy and literacy
- Communication skills
- No problem approach
- Can do attitude to work and challenges
- Willingness to share and learn skills
- Positive and flexible outlook
- Inclusive and kind attitude
- Apprentices without English and mathematics at level 1 must achieve this level and apprentices without level 2 English and mathematics must take the tests for level 2 prior to taking their EPA. For those with an education, health and care plan or a legacy statement, the apprenticeships English and maths minimum requirement is Entry Level 3. British Sign Language qualification is an alternative to English qualifications for those whom this is their primary language
- Potential full time job offer upon completion
Things to consider
- You will work within our modern 32000 square foot production facilities in Shipley West Yorkshire. You will work primarily within one team in the business at a given time but this may be changed to suit operational requirements and seasonal production demand
- You will be responsible for contributing to the general tidiness and upkeep for the working areas to maintain a safe and pleasant working environment, for the benefit of everyone
- You will join our established teams who will be on hand to provide help and support as you start and learn the role. You will be able to draw on many resources to deliver the tasks required
- The role will require flexibility of working hours to deal with seasonal workload, there will periodically be early starts and late finishes and occasional weekend hours
- You may spend a lot of your time standing while operating machinery or sitting at a workstation or a production line
- You’ll wear a company uniform which will be provided
- Holidays 20 days per year plus Bank holidays – Pro-Rata (Some to be reserved for Christmas period and Spring shut down)
About the employer
Specialised Covers is a family-run firm and at the core of our business is a dedicated team of car, caravan and motorcycle enthusiasts.
We're as passionate about protecting and preserving your pride and joy as you are, and will always provide the best possible solutions with a service to match.
Our approach to the tailored cover market is unique because we never settle for anything less than perfect - each and every cover we produce is distinctive because of it's quality, longevity, and attention-to-detail.
Specialised Covers has been established for over 40 years and was started by Douglas and Carole Long in 1981. The business is still family owned and that ethos of providing the best service, advice and products manufactured in the UK is at the core of everything we do.
Our family values and can do attitude has allowed us to grow from strength to strength over the last 40 years. Offering our customers a bespoke tailoring service has made us the No 1 supplier for the leading car and caravan manufacturers like Mclaren, Bentley, Lotus, Swift and Bailey caravans. We provide excellent opportunities for candidates who demonstrate that they have the skills and motivation to contribute to the growth and success of the business.
Using the most up-to date manufacturing techniques, our production facility in West Yorkshire is home to some of the UK's most experienced tailors, designers and seamstresses and every Specialised Cover is manufactured under ISO 9001 Quality Supervision.
LEEDS CITY COLLEGE
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Leeds City College
Saffron Khan 01535685118 firstname.lastname@example.org
Level 2 Sewing Machinist Operative Apprenticeship Standard:
Functional Skills qualifications:
- Level 1 Functional Skill in English
- Level 1 Functional Skill in maths
The apprentice will gain technical knowledge and experience in a growing industry where good technical skills are vital. The sewing machinists role is fundamental to the production process right across the fashion and textiles industry.
The apprentice will learn vital skills including workstation preparation, stitching operations, machine and workstation maintenance and carrying out instructions. The apprentice will also gain knowledge in the materials used in production, specialist sewing machines used, the production process, quality and quantity requirements, supply chain and customer base and policies and procedures.
Training will be carried out at our Keighley Campus, Bradford Road, Keighley, BD21 4HQ.
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.