Apprentice Nursing Team Assistant Salisbury Medical Practice
The purpose of the role of the Nursing Team Assistant is to be a general supporting mechanism to the whole Nursing Team. You will work autonomously and also in conjunction with other members of the clinical team delivering expert care and support to the patients and Nursing Team.
Closing date: 31 Dec 2021
£173.25 to £334.13
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).Minimum Wage Rates
Total hours per week: 37.50
Possible start date
01 Jan 2022
16 Aug 2021
Level 2 (GCSE)
The Nursing Team Assistant will work closely with the Nursing Team Manager to gain a wider knowledge of the functionalities and the administrative side of the Nursing Team. Whilst undertaking administrative duties, the Nursing Team Assistant will also become trained in some areas of clinical work such as phlebotomy and aseptic technique training to be able to assist in theatres.
- To maintain adequate stock, equipment and resource levels within all GP and Nurse treatment rooms and theatres when required (including hot hub).
- To assist the Nurses with the administrative duties when undertaking childhood immunisations.
- To sterilise, clean and maintain surgical equipment following the Practice Infection Control Policy.
- To ensure all samples and specimens (cytology, blood, urine etc.) are labelled ready for collection.
- To undertake stock checks under the supervision of the Nursing Team Manager.
- To monitor fridge temperatures (when required).
- To ensure patient confidentiality, respect, and dignity is adhered to at all times.
- If felt appropriate and following formal training, to assist Doctor’s in minor surgery and contraceptive clinics.
- If felt appropriate and following formal training, to collect the sample of blood in accordance with training and procedures.
- To ensure that the patient is as comfortable and relaxed as possible and confirming their agreement to treatment.
- To act as a chaperone at the patient or GP request and to annotate the records thereafter.
- To undertake audits using Microsoft Excel when required.
- To use Microsoft Word to type and present protocols, policies, meeting minutes when required.
- To change curtains in clinical areas when required.
- To assist with the document workflow process.
- To use Arden’s templates where appropriate and ensure all consultations are recorded at the time of event with accuracy and due diligence.
- To maintain accurate and relevant patient records, including recording of events and requests.
- To act with professionalism and ensuring that ethical conduct is adhered to at all times.
- To participate and promote child and vulnerable adult safeguarding and to extract safeguarding information and follow the appropriate pathway when required.
- To ensure infection control policies and procedures are maintained.
- To keep the working area clean, tidy and professional whilst adhering to GDPR regulations.
- To assist with training for new staff.
- To assist with the gathering of statistics and information when required.
- To participate and co-operate with any research projects.
- To work across different practices on an ad-hoc/when required basis.
- It will be necessary to attend and contribute to various practice meetings as requested.
This Job Description is neither exhaustive nor exclusive and will be reviewed periodically in conjunction with the post holder. The post holder is required to carry out any duties that may reasonably be requested by the Partners or Management Team.
Requirements and prospects
- Ability to evidence working with others
- Competent and confident in using IT & computers
- Excellent communication skills – both verbal and written
- Excellent organisational skills
- Ability to work independently
- Can work collaboratively in a team
- Ability to multitask
- 1 years+ experience – customer focused role
- Telephone call handling
- Working within a team
- Working independently
- Working within a confidential environment
- Self-motivated with a can-do attitude
- Fast learner
- Adaptable to change
- Flexible approach to demand
- Calm and professional disposition
- Maths GCSE Grade C/4 or above (or equivalent)
- English GCSE Grade C/4 or above (or equivalent)
- 5 or more GCSE’s Grade C/4 or above (or equivalent)
At Salisbury Medical Practice, we value our workforce and are keen to develop and invest in staff to enable growth in their careers in-house. Therefore, for the right apprentice, there may be a permanent position on successful completion of apprenticeship.
- NHS Pension (subject to eligibility)
- Training on the job
- Friendly working team
- Free on-site parking
- 5 weeks annual leave (plus bank holidays)
- Eligibility for application for a Blue Light Card (NHS staff discount for many leading brands/services)
Things to consider
- The Apprentice will need to value the commitments of effective customer service skills, team working, with an inclusive approach to offering services and supporting the equality, diversity and rights of all patients, visitors and colleagues in a confidential and professional manner.
- Please note, if you are a registered patient with the Practice you will be required to change GP Practice due to a conflict of interest.
- Any job offer will be subject to a DBS check, 2 references, an occupational health check and right to work checks.
All candidates will be required to complete an official sugery application form prior to consideration.
About the employer
Salisbury Medical Practice is the largest NHS GP Practice in Salisbury, providing patient care across approximately 24,000 patients in Salisbury and the surrounding areas across 4 sites. We have 23 GPs who are supported by a vast team of healthcare professionals including a large nursing team, paramedics, a pharmacy team, social prescriber and a safeguarding lead. We also have a large back-office management and administrative structure to support the GPs and the Practice in the day to day running of the Surgery.
The main Practice site (Fisherton House) is a very spacious, comfortable and modern building along and we also offer free parking at all our sites. We are an innovative, forward thinking and dynamic Practice and we pride ourselves on being a training Practice. As a training Practice, we support and mentor medical student placements, GP registrars as well as investing and developing internal staff e.g. through apprenticeship schemes, foundation degrees and masters studies.
FAREPORT TRAINING ORGANISATION LIMITED
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Fareport Training Organisation Ltd
Alex Bellis 01722 333034 email@example.com
The Healthcare Support Worker Apprenticeship is a minimum of 12 months and typically be completed in 15 months.
The apprenticeship provides a highly transferable set of knowledge, skills and behaviours which can be gained working across an organisation and its processes. Some examples of these are;
- Communication- with individuals, their families, carers and healthcare practitioners using a range of techniques, keeping information confidential.
- Health intervention
- Physiological measurements.
- Dementia, cognitive issues and Mental health
- Duty of care
Within this standard you will also complete the care certificate and Level 2 Diploma in care.
The apprenticeship is firm grounding in organisational operations and functional processes as well as the wider working environment in which you will follow relevant standards, policies and protocols used in your workplace including the code of conduct for Healthcare Support Workers.
Where you have not already achieved Level 2 English and Maths these must be worked towards throughout the apprenticeship and achieved prior to completing End Point Assessment.
A minimum of Level 1 English and Maths will be required to be achieved within the apprenticeship.
You will complete the apprenticeship within your workplace with support from a dedicated trainer who will visit / contact you frequently. All learners will have access to an E-Portfolio and learning resources to help you develop and build your knowledge and skills.
Healthcare support worker
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.