Commis Chef Apprentice White Hart Inn
A superb opportunity has arisen to join the White Hart as an Apprentice Commis Chef. The role will help you to establish a career within the hospitality industry, to gain specialist knowledge, skills and expertise, as well as train towards a series of nationally recognised qualifications.
Closing date: 10 Dec 2021
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 30.00
Possible start date
03 Jan 2022
08 Aug 2021
Level 2 (GCSE)
Working alongside the head chef Adrian, you will learn all aspects of the kitchen including starters, mains and desserts. Everything is prepared and cooked from scratch and served fresh on a daily basis.
Due to Covid we have restructured the flow of the kitchen area by adding an extra door so we have a one-way system for ease.
Under the guidance of Adrian you will have daily duties which will include:
- Food preparation
- Making stocks and sauces
- Preparing and cooking meals to order
- Food hygiene
- Stock rotation
- Allergen awareness
- Legislation checks to mention but a few
You will learn all areas of the kitchen and be a part of the team
Requirements and prospects
- The ideal apprentice has great communication skills, so that you are able to liaise with your colleagues and customers in a polite and friendly manner
- You keenly ask questions, share ideas and take feedback on your performance, as this will help to improve your abilities
- You also have good organisational skills so you are always on time, keep your work areas tidy and you can prioritise your workload
- Be punctual
- Work well within a team
- Be able to use their own initiative
- Be logical and able to solve problems
- Be pro-active and creative
- Diligent and organised
- Have a good sense of humour
- 2 GCSEs or equivalent at grade A*-D 9/3 in English and mathematics are desirable
- Maths and English will be studied as a mandatory part of the apprenticeship if D/3 has not already been achieved
There may be the opportunity to become a permanent member of the White Hart upon full completion of the apprenticeship.
Things to consider
- You must ensure you have suitable travel arrangements in place to get to work and to attend college. You will work on a rota basis to include evenings and weekends. Hours of work could vary and will be established at interview.
About the employer
The White Hart, Chilsworthy is a friendly, welcoming, dog-friendly, traditional free house, situated in the Tamar Valley – an area of outstanding natural beauty. We have a unique view overlooking the Tamar Valley.
They are not a restaurant. They are not a gastro pub. The White Hart is a “proper” pub serving good quality food and drinks.
Adrian the Head Chef, is passionate about serving high quality, tasty dishes all homemade.
Both locals and visitors alike can enjoy some of the tasty meals such as venison chilli, Fowey mussels & Adrian’s popular steak goulash.
We’re all about provenance and working, where possible, with the best local suppliers to give you a great selection to choose from.
White Hart Inn
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Cornwall College Business
Recruitment Team 01209 616269
Commis Chef Level 2 Apprenticeship Standard:
- As part of this apprenticeship, you will need to achieve the Level 2 Commis Chef qualification, before undertaking the final 'End Point Assessment'
- Assessor support will be provided in the workplace
- College attendance will be required at our St. Austell campus, so you will need to be able to get to this venue
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.