Bodyshop Panel Technician Apprenticeship FIX Auto
Fix Auto Kettering is offering a fantastic opportunity for an Apprentice Vehicle Damage Body Technician to join their team in Kettering. As a Vehicle Damage Panel Technician you will work within the Collision Repair workshop, demonstrating expert working knowledge in relation to the removal, repair, and replacement of vehicle body panels.
Closing date: 10 Feb 2022
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
17 Feb 2022
05 Aug 2021
Level 3 (A level)
Your role includes the technical and practical needs for today’s motor vehicle body repair industry. You will study both the theory and practical aspects of the following:
- Materials and consumables
- Removing and fitting non-structural body panels
- Motor vehicle chassis and body alignment, e.g. underbody measurement and its impact on suspension and steering geometry
- Vehicle body types, panel identification, safety systems, materials, and alternative fuel
- Use of Body Panel Repair tools, equipment and devices used in the process e.g. alignment jigs, resistance welding equipment, riveting, and bonding tools
- Removal and replacement of body panels and associated parts e.g. mechanically fixed components, chemically fixed components
- Interpretation of technical data for joining techniques and replacement panels
- Quality control process and the implications of poor quality
Working for Fix Auto Kettering, the successful candidate will work independently and as part of a team following a defined process, using their skills to correctly identify the different body panel types and have the ability to use the correct repair tools to carry out the work to the highest possible standard.
Duties will include:
- Undertake appropriate job preparation prior to commencing repair, including safety precautions, panel preparation and body measurements.
- Identify the material used in the construction to enable the correct joining techniques and manufacturer specifications to be adhered to.
- Interpret relevant technical data and methods to make sure that any joints are in line with vehicle manufacturer specification and the vehicle/body panels are aligned correctly.
- Ability to identify and understand the correct joining technology
- Remove, repair, and replace vehicle body panels and components of the vehicle safely and efficiently
- Operate the correct repair tools, equipment and devices used in the process, panel pulling systems, jig and alignment tools, spot welders, brazing tools.
- Identify and communicate supplementary damage such as panels that were deemed to be reparable but once worked on were found to be beyond repair along with damage that could not be established on original inspection.
- Ability to detect and rectify faults within a vehicles structure that’s integral to its safety
Training will take place via Emtec, Ruddington on a block release model 8 x per year.
Requirements and prospects
- Excellent communication skills
- Some experience within an automotive workshop environment
The ideal candidate will have:
- A passion for the automotive industry
- An enthusiasm to learn with an interest in development and progression
- A ‘can do’ attitude
- A keen interest in and knowledge of the motor vehicle industry
- Mechanically minded with meticulous attention to detail
- The willingness to also undertake basic duties as part of training
The ideal candidate will be:
- Able to use own initiative
- A team player
- A keen interest in classic and performance vehicles is imperative
4 GCSEs at grades A*-C/9-4 (or equivalent) including maths and English. Science and ICT (or equivalent) are desirable.
Upon successful completion and review of the apprenticeship, you will have the opportunity to gain employment with the business.
About the employer
Fix Auto Kettering has built a solid reputation in accident repair, consistently keeping pace with an ever-changing industry. Although the company has grown in size and joins an international network, it still maintains a family atmosphere and we are proud of our simplified claims process with your insurer, our quality commitment and our Fix Auto guarantee all combine to ensure your peace of mind.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Nottingham College
Nottingham College Apprenticeship Team
Level 3 Vehicle Damage Panel Technician apprenticeship standard, which includes:
- Level 2 Functional Skills in maths and English (if required)
- End-Point Assessment (EPA)
Regular review and welfare visits from our assessors who will observe all evidence opportunities that occur naturally in the workplace.
Vehicle damage panel technician
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.