Apprentice Upholstery Sewing Machinist John Sankey
We wish to recruit an enthusiastic apprentice to join our sewing and cutting team. The successful candidate will be trained in all aspects of upholstery sewing through WEBS structured training programme as well as on the job training. You will learn practical skills and techniques to produce different types of soft furnishings.
Closing date: 30 Nov 2021
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 39.00
Possible start date
14 Dec 2021
05 Aug 2021
Level 2 (GCSE)
Duties of a Sewer and Cutter could include:
- Working with a large range of materials including fabrics and leathers
- Cutting various materials ready for upholstery
- Patten matching fabrics within tolerance
- Using a range of trimmings and finishing’s including buttons, facings and piping
- Using traditional methods such as slip stitch, tacking and hand sewing
- Use a range of hand tools including scissors, shears, staple lifter
- Cutting materials with templates
- Working on sewing machines and cutting machines
- Sewing fabrics ready for upholstery
- Good housekeeping and general labouring duties
- Good organisation of workloads ready for production
- Checking and ordering new stock, managing storage of stock
- Working as part of a team on piece work production
- Working independently, using your own initiative
Requirements and prospects
Skills required to becoming a sewer:
- Basic numeracy skills
- Excellent team working skills
- Good communication skills
- Excellent attitude
- Good attention to detail
- Be punctual
- Being able to work confidently under pressure
- Being able to work within a factory environment
- The ability to meet targets and deadlines
- Be able to adjust to working on different designs and models of soft furnishings
- None required, however, the successful candidate will work towards their Functional Skills in both maths and English if they have not achieved prior or have an equivalent
- Advanced Apprenticeship in Modern Upholstery, traditional Upholstery, Supervision or Furniture design and Prototyping
- Progression within the organisation to include more responsibility and wider range of production work
Things to consider
Are you a practical person looking to gain new skills?
Do you want to be part of a dynamic team?
Have to be 18+ due to company insurance reasons.
Please note some roles require repetition.
About the employer
In the 1950’s, John Sankey founded an upholstery business, famous for its quality and comfort, based here in the heartland of British upholstery, Long Eaton in Derbyshire. Today, we are John Sankey - a family owned business since 1992.
The design process is what makes our products stand out from the crowd. Every design we offer is the result of painstaking research, drawing on heritage shapes but designed for contemporary living. Many prototypes will be created before they pass the test, as we are devoted to achieving the best possible comfort.
WEBS TRAINING LIMITED
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Webs Training Ltd
Jennie Jarvis 0115 9677771 firstname.lastname@example.org
Level 2 Furniture Manufacturer apprenticeship standard.
During your apprenticeship programme, you will receive training both off and on the job. You will be required to attend training on a block basis at Webs Training which is based in Beeston, Nottingham. You will learn the underpinning knowledge that runs alongside your practical elements of the training. You will use a wide range of techniques whilst you complete a practical project.
WEBS Training aim to build on the skills you already have so you reach your full potential both personally and professionally.
Training will be provided in all areas of sewing and cutting to ensure you are capable of creating practical and bespoke soft furnishings using both traditional and modern techniques and materials to produce aesthetically pleasing and fit for purpose products.
If you have already achieved GCSEs (or equivalent) in maths and English at Grade C/4 or above or have equivalent qualifications, you will be exempt from undertaking Functional Skills, however, English and maths support will be provided for all apprentices throughout the length of their programme.
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.