Apprentice Golf Greenkeeper Hennerton Golf Club
We are looking to appoint an enthusiastic greenkeeper to start on an apprenticeship scheme. The successful applicant will be given full training and at the end of the contract will be classed as a qualified greenkeeper.
Closing date: 30 Oct 2021
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
11 Nov 2021
29 Jul 2021
Level 2 (GCSE)
You will be working within a team of four/five greenkeepers, initially working on basic greenkeeping duties and then being introduced to all golf course equipment and machinery. By working within a small team, over time, you will gain experience and be involved in all areas of golf course maintenance and management. You must be prepared for early mornings and working in all weather conditions. The work is physically challenging and a good level of fitness will be advantageous. You will work with and be trained by successful greenkeepers with many years of experience in varied roles within the greenkeeping industry.
You job role will include:
- Golf course preparation
- A range of mowing
- Presenting and maintaining playing surfaces for golf
- Using and maintaining handheld/pedestrian/ride-on machinery
- Preparing and operating a tractor and attachments
- Renovating and repairing sports turf surfaces
- Preparing ground for grass/plants
- Establishing grass/plants
- Monitoring and maintaining health, safety and security
- Establishing working relationships
- Developing your personal performance
- Free uniform
- Discounted lunch each day
- GTC approved course and BIGGA membership
- During your time at Hennerton Golf Club, you will be gaining technical knowledge and collating evidence of learning, be observed and receive training as to how the golf course operates
- This is averaged over a 15 -24-month period and includes time spent at the beginning of the programme completing your enrolment & initial functional skills assessments
- A qualified Greenkeeping Assessor will visit you in the workplace every four to eight weeks
- You will study for a Level 2 Certificate in Golf Greenkeeping on a day release or online programme
- You will carry out an End Point Assessment to complete your training and gain your qualification
Requirements and prospects
- The ability to work alone and as part of a team
- Clear and effective communication skills
- An ability to solve problems and make effective decisions
- A strong work ethic
- A flexible, positive attitude to work
- A willingness to learn
- A safety mindset for yourself and others
- Maths and English GCSE (or equivalent) Grades A-E/8-2/Functional Skills Level 1
By the end of the programme, the apprentice will know when, how and why the range of maintenance operations are carried out.
The career as a Golf Greenkeeper can take you wherever the game of golf is played. Working outdoors in a healthy environment and as new countries are embracing the sport and more golf courses are being built, there is no better time to consider joining this great profession.
Things to consider
This work is physical and will require you to work in and outdoors in all weathers.
You might have contact with members, so will need to have a polite manner.
About the employer
An established golf course based in Wargrave, Berkshire.
Hennerton Golf Club was opened by Bernard Gallacher in 1992. He was delighted with the beauty of the Berkshire countryside and the advantages made of the natural variation of the hills and the valley in the design of the course.
Originally opened as 9-holes, this 18-hole parkland course is unique in layout and landscape.
Players of all standards are smitten with the course's challenges which are only topped by the outstanding views of the Thames Valley.
As well as the golf course, Hennerton offers an indoor purpose built golf simulator, where golfers can play all year round on many world renowned golf courses.
BERKSHIRE COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE, THE (BCA)
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Berkshire College of Agriculture
Nikki Neal 01628 827530 email@example.com
- Training will be on the job and one-day-a-week college day release or online programme with Berkshire College of Agriculture
- Golf Greenkeeper level 2 Apprenticeship
- Level 2 English and maths Functional Skills (unless you possess GCSE (or equivalent) Grades A-C/8-4)
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.