Quantity Surveyor Apprentice Level 4 Alstom Uk
Your day to day activities will involve learning about and assisting the commercial and contract management department, to achieve financial performance targets and goals by optimising margin and protecting the company from commercial risk whilst supporting the project team.
Closing date: 27 Oct 2021
Total hours per week: 37.00
Possible start date
29 Oct 2021
29 Jul 2021
Level 4 (Higher national Certificate)
An excellent opportunity to join a world leading systems & infrastructure company where you will work alongside exceptional project management and engineering professionals to deliver railway systems infrastructure projects.
Alstom deliver major railway projects across the globe and have recently been vital in the delivery of Crossrail, and HS2 (enabling projects) in the UK.
In addition, we have been awarded by Network Rail, two significant major signalling frameworks and you will be part of the team that will be delivering Contracts awarded under those Frameworks.
Your day to day activities will involve learning about and assisting the commercial and contract management dept., to achieve financial performance targets and goals by optimising margin and protecting the company from commercial risk
Whilst supporting the project team to deliver these contracts, you will be in the commercial team supporting the administration of customer and supplier contracts.
Working in this exciting industry you will work to become a key team member understanding the importance of delivery on time and to budget, maintaining a strong customer focus, whilst protecting the commercial and financial interests of the company.
Provide support and assistance to the Commercial Manager or Lead Quantity Surveyor to optimise margin on a project whilst protecting the project from commercial risk and maintaining a high standard in all areas in accordance with Alstom Policies and Procedures.
You will undertake a planned rotation within appropriate departments in order to gain the skills and competencies to complete the Standard requirements.
You will also undertake internal training not covered by the Standard.
Over a 3-year program, our Apprenticeships combine academic college studies with real life work-based experience across our Organisation. You will have the opportunity to build and gather evidence of your competence whilst working towards a formal qualification.
- Attend training provider courses full time or day release as requested
- Operate at an appropriate level carrying out designated tasks within the team assigned
- Participate in Company Initiatives, in particular to be engaged in Continuous Improvement activity targeted at all aspects of Alstom performance
- Conduct oneself at all times in a manner that reflects positively on Alstom
- To comply with Alstom Procedures and Code of Ethics
- Management of Client & Supplier Accounts - Support with the administration of Sub-contractor accounts from project start up through to final account, including the administration of sub-contract payments and issuing payment notices
- Commercial & Contract Guidance - Work with the commercial team to understand the key principles of construction contracts and their application
- Record Keeping - Support the collation of contemporaneous records which identify progress, delays and controlled change management
- Financial Targets & Budgets - Provide support which aligns with the commercial management strategy
- Support, Relationships & Procedures - Establish good relationships within Project Teams, the Supply Chain (including sub-contractors), and the Client in line with Alstom procedures
- Best practice - Support the expansion of best practice within the commercial team
- Training & Development - Pursue the training and professional development goals of the commercial apprenticeship scheme
- Commercial team
- Project team
- Legal & Compliance Department
- Product / Platform teams
- Sourcing and Procurement
- Tender teams
Requirements and prospects
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong IT skills, such as the use of MS Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Ability to interact and work within a multi-disciplined team (with flexibility around team roles), with good interpersonal skills, and be able to work on your own initiative where required
- Able to communicate clearly within peer groups
- The right attitude and adherence towards safety is highly important
- Capable of working under pressure and to deadlines
- Developing organisation and planning skills
- A Level DD or
- BTEC National Diploma MMM or
- Level 3 Apprenticeship in related subject or
- 5 GCSEs – minimum Grade C/5 including maths and English (or equivalent qualifications)
Alstom offer opportunities to extend apprenticeship learning through to Degree and Chartered status if the candidate is suitable and the business need exists.
Things to consider
You should also be prepared for a life of travel, with lots and lots of learning.
As a level 4 Apprentice Quantity Surveyor, having joined the company with the necessary entry level requirements, you will combine academic college studies with real life work-based experience across our organisation, developing Quantity Surveying, Commercial and Contract Management skills, and gaining project management, engineering and technical knowledge leading to the award of level 4-6 qualifications; certificate, diploma and BSc (Hons).
You will also work towards becoming a Member of the Chartered Institute of Civil Engineering Surveyors (or the Royal Institute of Quantity Surveyors); all of which will enable you to progress in a career that will be rewarding and fulfilling.
About the employer
Alstom has an impressive history in the UK dating back to the dawn of the railway, and we have been involved in some of this country's most significant and innovative rail transportation infrastructure such as HS1, Manchester Metrolink, Network Rail’s Signalling and electrification systems, Nottingham Tram and half the trains on the London Underground.
Every day, around a third of all rail journeys in the UK are made on
Alstom trains. We keep West Coast Main Line service running for around 34 million passengers every year and we service over 100 tube trains a day on London’s Northern Line, carrying nearly 1 million passengers daily. Today, we’re helping to turn Crossrail’s tunnels into a fully operational railway, electrifying the Edinburgh to Glasgow rail line and are helping the UK’s Rail Supply Chain to get ready for HS2.
To help design, build and maintain the UK and Ireland’s large-scale rail infrastructure we have invested, innovated and developed the world’s most sophisticated engineering and new rail technology. From Train Scanner, our world-leading virtual train health checker, to Appitrack, the fastest track laying machine in the world, our engineers are helping to make Britain's railways better. Our signalling and electrification activities are nationwide and are delivering the next generation of technology to help improve timetables and ensure safety on the railway whether on projects or the installed asset across the country.
We provide world-class development and training facilities for our employees and our industry partners. Additionally, we invest in longer-term skills development through partnerships with the UK’s best education providers and skills development organisations as well as our own well-established intern, apprentice and graduate programmes.
Additional location information
BROMLEY COLLEGE OF FURTHER AND HIGHER EDUCATION
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Bromley College of Further & Higher Education
Hima BIndu Challa +447494154392 email@example.com
Training Provider: BROMLEY COLLEGE OF FURTHER AND HIGHER EDUCATION
On programme Training:
- Level 4 Quantity Surveying Technician Apprenticeship Standard
- Level 4 qualification in Construction and Built Environment
- Level 2 Functional Skills in maths and English
- Institute of Apprenticeship Certificate
- Online Portfolio
- Online Test
- Professional Discussion
Construction quantity surveying technician
Level 4 (Higher national Certificate)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.