Apprentice Machine Setter / Operator Howmet
An Apprentice is required to develop engineering skills to be able to set and operate multi-station heading machinery as well as carry out preventative maintenance and laboratory testing. You will work towards a Level 2 Engineering Operative apprenticeship standard.
Closing date: 20 Oct 2021
Total hours per week: 37.50
Possible start date
23 Oct 2021
27 Jul 2021
Level 2 (GCSE)
The main function of the apprenticeship role is to develop practical mechanical engineering skills to correctly set and operate multi-station heading machinery, which produce high quality, premium fasteners. As an Apprentice Setter / Operator you will be trained in developing the skills necessary to operate the heading machines that manufacture the Huck product line.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Operating and setting of Multi-station heading machines
- Operating and setting of Menn Rolling machines
- Perform simple laboratory testing
- Using measuring equipment
- Identify and perform preventative maintenance tasks
- Read graphs and charts
- Maintain a high standard of housekeeping - keeping area free from oil and ensuring a safe working environment
- Forklift truck operation
- Undertake SPC (Statistical Process Control) in accordance with company requirements and Quality Manager instructions
- Adhere to Howmet's Code of Conduct, Health and Safety and Quality procedures
- Any other duties as assigned
Requirements and prospects
- An interest in Engineering - experience of working in a manufacturing environment is desirable
- Good communication skills
- Punctual and reliable
- A flexible and responsive approach
- Demonstrate a mechanical aptitude - in engineering or car mechanics for example
- Natural team player
- Logical problem solver
- Able to adapt to advancing and changing environment
- Strong attention to detail
- Keen to learn and commit to this apprenticeship
- Able to cope with pressure and fast paced environment
GCSEs at grades A*-C/9-4 (or equivalent) in maths and English at a minimum.
This role will progress into a setter position. After this there are opportunities to progress to a Technical Setter position, which is a technical expert for cells within the factory, then a Lead Technical Setter - in this role you would take a lead role in training other employees
Opportunities would also exist at Shift Supervisor level and other applicable roles in engineering and maintenance. We have lots of examples of internal promotion from Machine Setting positions.
Things to consider
Applicants must be aged 18 + in order to work on the shop floor - this is a requirement.
About the employer
The Howmet Fastening Systems Industrial product range offers the greatest breadth and depth of fastening solutions available including self-locking nuts, quick-release fasteners, draw latches, threaded inserts, lockbolts & structural blind fasteners.
IN-COMM TRAINING AND BUSINESS SERVICES LIMITED
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by IN-COMM TRAINING ACADEMY SHROPSHIRE LIMITED
Sue Fisher 01922 457686
This is a 15-month Engineering Operative apprenticeship.
The successful candidate will be required to attend college one day per week as part of the training, this is based in Shrewsbury.
Training will include:
- Level 2 NVQ in Engineering Operations
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills (PLTS)
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities (ERR)
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.