Data Technician Apprentice Coombeshead Academy
As a Data Technician, you will be part of a data team that plays a fundamental role in the strategic direction and success of the Trust. You will be involved in the management of all aspects of learner data within the Trust, from data collection, validation, report development, presentation to stakeholders and analysis.
Closing date: 29 Oct 2021
Total hours per week: 37.00
Possible start date
08 Nov 2021
26 Jul 2021
Level 3 (A level)
Your role will provide the tools senior leaders within the Trust need to focus their efforts on making the biggest possible impact on the outcomes of our learners. You will have a significant opportunity to learn about all aspects of data within a business environment through the apprenticeship and attend residential training courses as part of your apprenticeship programme.
In order to support the development of this role, the Trust is working with Firebrand training to offer a Level 3 Apprenticeship on completion of the 16-month program. This includes 4 short residential training sessions held at the Firebrand Training Centre in Bedfordshire. As part of the apprenticeship, you will learn and enhance your skills in the following areas:
- Role of the Data Technician
- Introduction to Excel
- Fundamentals of visualisation
- Open-source resources
- Types formats and structures of data
- Identification of Data Quality issues
- Database and Data Warehouse fundamentals
- Dash boarding
- Analysis of Data in Excel including power query and power pivot
The final part of the apprenticeship will see you complete a series of End Point Assessments. This consists of a Scenario Demonstration with questioning and a Professional Discussion underpinned by a portfolio of evidence created by the Learner throughout their Apprenticeship. Functional skills in Maths and English will be undertaken whilst on the programme if it is unable to be evidenced at programme enrolment.
Throughout the apprenticeship programme, you will be building a portfolio of evidence and will complete various work-based projects and online learning modules, fully supported by a Learner Mentor from Firebrand.
The ESW Data function is pivotal to the daily running of the Trust, with systems supported by and analysis reports produced by the team being used by Learning Support Assistants, Teachers, Subject Leaders, Senior Leadership Teams, Head Teachers and Trust Leaders.
You will report to and work closely with the Data Analyst (Technical) working on all aspects of learner data entry, database management, validation, reporting and analysis. The list below provides an indication of functional areas you will be working on:
- Supporting all users of the Management Information System (MIS) and various analysis packages
- Assisting with maintaining the accuracy of databases in use within the Trust via data input, validation and amendments
- Liaising with external partners, including software vendors, non-Trust schools, local authority teams and the Department for Education
- Assisting with the creation of reports to query the data held within the MIS database, to provide data in formats requested by end-users
- Working as a team to provide statistical analysis of data to focus on school and trust priorities as requested by the ESW Data Manager, the ESW board or school Senior Management Teams by using software packages such as 4matrix, School Pupil Tracker, Internal Raise and Atkinson reports
- Assisting with the setup and maintain reporting systems, including the production of Assessment reports
- Become proficient in MS Report Builder 2017, building new and modifying existing reports within the MIS
- Promote safe and effective use of data by pupils and staff
- Support staff in the use of data and related IT resources, providing training where necessary
- Ensure data is stored securely and maintained in terms of the Data Protection Act and GDPR
This role will be based be at Coombeshead Academy, Newton Abbot. You will however be expected to travel to any of the schools in the Trust. As the Trust grows your base may change to another location in the Trust in South Devon.
Requirements and prospects
- Proficient use of the MS suite / Intermediate Level Excel Skills (minimum)
- Knowledge of Database Structures
- Confident, articulate communicator
- Full UK Driving Licence and use of your own car
- Willingness to develop new skills and attend training sessions
- Engaging and winning personality, exhibiting empathy, customer-oriented approach, tact and influencing skills
- Flexible and adaptable, able to multi-task and deal with multiple demands on your time
- A professional approach to workload and variable demands, always ensuring the job gets done, the deadlines are met
- At least five GCSEs (or equivalent) at Grade C/4 or above including maths, English and either IT or Science
- Ideally you will have either a minimum of two A Levels (or equivalent)
- Please ensure that your full educational history is stated on your application
On successful completion of the training, the role will convert to a permanent position.
About the employer
ESW is a growing multi-academy trust, currently comprising three secondary academies, one UTC, one all-through academy, and six primary academies.
ESW Shared Services is led by the Finance Director and Chief Operating Officer, supported by six managers. In addition to IT Services, the Shared Services team is responsible for Finance, Payroll, HR, Facilities and Compliance, Data, Business Development & Administration, Catering and Leisure Services
FIREBRAND TRAINING LIMITED
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Firebrand Training Ips Ltd
Firebrand offers a unique Higher Level IT Apprenticeship scheme that provides award-winning industry training and certifications, valuable work experience and offers on-going support all with the ultimate goal of securing you a long-term career within the world of technology.
During your 16 month IT apprenticeship programme, Firebrand will provide residential training at our distraction-free training centre. Our method of accelerated training allows you to achieve industry-recognised certifications such as CompTIA, ITIL and Microsoft faster, giving you more time to put your new skills in to practice within a working environment. Firebrand will also provide you with a Learning Mentor who will be supporting and assisting you with your development. By the end of your 16 month apprenticeship, in addition to having numerous industry recognized qualifications (if applicable to the standard), a steady career with a supportive employer, you will also be recognised by the British Computer Society (BCS) for entry onto the register of IT Technicians, confirming SFIA level 3 professional competence.
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.