Carpentry Apprentice Horst Construction Ltd
Horst Construction Ltd are a small family run business established in 2014 by Jon Steele and Bonny Shanks. This is a fantastic opportunity to gain an industry recognised qualification whilst earning a wage at the same time.
Closing date: 14 Nov 2021
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 37.50
Possible start date
04 Jan 2022
21 Jul 2021
Level 2 (GCSE)
To learn and acquire the skills necessary to become a competent Carpenter/Joiner working mainly on residential projects but some commercial.
To obtain all round knowledge of the construction processes leading to the finished product.
Site based: Practical skills/use of tools/health and safety/joisting and roofing/1st fix/2nd fix and finals. Develop personal (people) skills College based: Work towards the relevant National Vocational Qualification (NVQ)
- To work and perform in a safe, conscientious and proactive manner
- Keep accurate training records/diary
- Attend approved NVQ course
- Be punctual and keep employer informed of potential absences
- Adhere within the terms of the Construction Apprentice Scheme
Effective working relationships are an essential part of daily working life.
The focus in this role is:
Internal: Colleagues within Horst - site and office based staff.
External: Sub contract company to which you are affiliated and their employees.
Other sub contractors and site based staff health and safety contractors, electrical or plumbing (examples of other sub contractors that they will have to work with).
These are illustrative duties and the post holder will be expected to become involved in a range of work to enable the department to respond effectively to the requirements of the Company.
Day to day duties will include:
- First and second fix joinery First fix - roofing, stud work, flooring
- Second fix - fitting architrave, skirting, doors, locks, bedroom furniture, kitchens and some built in bathroom joinery, finished floors
Requirements and prospects
- Punctual, honest and trustworthy
- Accurate with measuring
- Good at taking notes and remembering things
- Good communicator
- Postive problem solver
- Use initiative
- Problem solver
- Physical strength
GCSE's at grade C/4 or above in both maths and English are desired.
To grow with the company, eventually pricing their own work.
Things to consider
Please note: due to the nature of this role a driving licence will be required/working towards (currently learning to drive) as candidates will need to travel to a variety of different sites.
About the employer
Jon has 30 years’ experience in carpentry and joinery and has worked in Manchester, Holland, Australia and for the last 20 years Cornwall. Bonny has over 25 years experience in Property management and supports the business from an accounts and administrative perspective.
In the last 10 years we have completed projects building timber frame luxury houses and more recently a static houseboat and bath house.
Horst Construction Ltd
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Cornwall College Business
Lauren Wheeler 0330 123 4785
- You will be working towards a Level 2 Apprenticeship Standard in Carpentry and Joinery
- This apprenticeship consists of a mixture of off the job training and on the job mentoring and development within the workplace
- You will be expected to attend college on a weekly basis for college workshops, and additional attendance if functional skills is required
Carpentry and joinery
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.