Commis Chef apprentice SPANGLISH LIMITED
We produce a day menu for our café and courtyard downstairs, an evening menu for our restaurant upstairs, as well as a special all day Sunday Brunch and Lunch, allowing you an opportunity to try our delicious and mouth watering plates using fresh high quality local Cornish ingredients. This is a fantastic opportunity for the right candidate!
Closing date: 14 Nov 2021
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
04 Jan 2022
14 Jul 2021
Level 2 (GCSE)
Working with Flory, the owner, you will learn all aspects of the kitchen over time. Flory believes that preparation and cleaning are a vital part of a functioning kitchen so this will be incorporated into your daily routines.
Duties and responsibilities:
- As part of your skill building Flory will show you how to check food stocks, report on shortages, prioritise food that is close to expiry and keep the storage areas in good order. She will also work with you working methodically in prioritising tasks, ensuring that they are completed at the right moment and to the required standard
- Flory is looking for someone who has an appreciation of ingredients who will take pride in their own role through an enthusiatic and professional approach to tasks
- You will learn how to communicate with colleagues and team members from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures as well as identifying the pronciples of basic food preparation and cooking; taste; allergens; diet and nutrition
- Flory cooks fresh ingredients from scratch, including making her own pasta, jus, ice cream and bread
We are here to cater for your special event either Upstairs or Downstairs or you may wish to book in a party in our private dining room and enjoy a special occasion of your own.
OPEN Tuesday to Saturday from 10.30 to 3pm and from 5pm to 9pm for last dinner reservations and on Sundays for brunch and lunch till 4pm.
Location- We are midway between Fowey and Padstow in the historic town of Bodmin. You will find us in the centre of Bodmin at the beginning of the Camel trail and opposite the Cinema with Priory car park just 100 metres away (free after 4pm).
Requirements and prospects
- Willing to learn
- Able to focus on the solution not the problem
- Use initiatives
- Problem solver
- Team player
- Sense of humour
- English and maths will be studied as a mandatory part of the apprenticeship if C/4 has not already been achieved. These will be studied by Block Weeks, Monday to Friday
- Please note: if candidates do not hold a level 3/D grade at GCSE in both maths and English or equivalent, they will not be considered for the role
- There may be the opportunity to stay with the employer upon successful completion of the full apprenticeship
Things to consider
- No two days will be the same. Pressure of the role - up to 100 covers in a day
About the employer
In Bodmin in the heart of Cornwall, close to Bodmin Moor you will find Flory Restaurant and Café Open for brunch, lunch and dinner. Our Menus are influenced by Flory’s Spanish connections and our chefs are supported by wonderful Cornish suppliers. Fresh daily fish from Looe and St.Ives, fresh vegetables from Continental fruit and vegetables in Doublebois and meat from James Kittow Butchers at Kilhallon, award winning grazier’s and butchers.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Cornwall College Business
Lauren Wheeler 0330 123 4785
- You will be working towards a Level 2 Apprenticeship Standard as a Commis Chef
- This apprenticeship consists of a mixture of off the job training and on the job mentoring and development within the workplace
- You will be expected to attend college on a weekly basis for college workshops, and additional attendance if functional skills is required
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.