Teaching Assistant Apprentice (LSA) Stoke High School
Stoke High School – Ormiston Academy caters for students of all academic abilities and recognises each individual's strengths and weaknesses. Specialist support is provided for students with a Statement of Special Educational Needs, with Specific Learning Difficulties and those with sensory impairments and/or physical disabilities.
Closing date: 31 Jan 2022
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 27.00
Possible start date
01 Feb 2022
02 Jul 2021
Level 3 (A level)
The staff of the Learning Support Department offer support either in mainstream classes or by withdrawal of students to the Special Educational Needs suite. The teacher plans lessons and directs learning. Learning Support Assistants provide support to the teacher and through this to students and to the teaching of the curriculum. Learning Support Assistants work under the direction of the teacher, whether with the whole class, a small group, or an individual student. All duties will be carried out within recognised procedures or guidelines and the teacher will be available for support and guidance. The post holder will be expected to have some expertise/specialism. There will be some need to interpret information or situations and to solve varied problems. More complex problems will be referred to line manager. No requirement to supervise others, but may demonstrate tasks to new colleagues or give advice and guidance to others.
Support for students:
- Undertake a range of more specialised tasks to support learning e.g. supporting literacy and numeracy work, listening to reading etc.
- Work with students, either one-to-one or in small groups, some of whom may have Special Educational Needs, as directed by the class teacher
- As appropriate, look after sick/upset students and attend to physical needs
- Refer first aid to Student Office.2 Support for the teacher
- Provide support for the teacher during lessons, e.g. through directed work on the Literacy or Numeracy strategy and other curriculum areas, or supervising small groups of students whilst the teacher is carrying out assessments
- Maintain records of student needs and progress as directed
- Assist teaching staff to ensure that the aims and objectives of the school are achieved. Support for the curriculum
- Undertake tasks to support the curriculum and assist with events organised as part of the curriculum
- Support implementation of Government initiatives under the direction of the teacher. Support for school
- Attend and contribute to appropriate review meetings, if required by the Head of School
Requirements and prospects
- Knowledge of the key factors that can affect the way pupils learn
- Ability to read and understand instructions
- Ability to promote and support the inclusion of all pupils in the learning activities
- Assist teacher in creating a positive learning environment
- Experience of working with students with special educational needs
- Experience of one to one support
- Awareness of health and safety procedures
- Knowledge of school policies and procedures
- Ability to use keyboard and mouse required
- Experience of working with pupils with additional needs
- Basic knowledge of first aid
- Ability to communicate in English
- Ability to recognise and resolve or report problems
- Ability to adapt support given to pupils depending on age and/or ability
- Ability to be sensitive to pupils’ needs and communicate effectively with them
- Ability to advise and guide pupils on the best way to handle situations, under the teacher’s direction
- Ability to provide information to other members of staff in relation to pupils’ behaviour, activities and general progress
GCSE maths and English at Grade C/4 or, Functional Skills Level 2.
Possible permanent role at the school as a Teaching Assistant.
About the employer
Stoke High School
Ormiston Academy strives to enable all of its students ‘to be the very best they can be’. We are a traditional Academy where old fashioned values of discipline, courtesy and good manners underpin our drive for academic and personal success for every child. We aim to help them achieve the very best results academically and prepare them for the world of work.
The world is rapidly changing but will remain one which will reward hard work, endeavour and determination. Whilst not on the curriculum, all of those involved with the academy strive hard to ensure all students leave the academy as future contributors to society.
I am immensely proud to work with so many supportive governors, talented staff and delightful young people. It is a privilege to be the Principal of Stoke High School – Ormiston Academy.
Let Me Play Ltd
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Let Me Play Ltd
anthony lowe 07881922192 email@example.com
Level 3 Teaching Assistant apprenticeship standard, which includes:
- Level 2 Functional Skills in maths and English, if required
- End-Point Assessment (EPA)
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.