Kitchen Porter (Commis Chef Apprenticeship) Barons Pub Company Ltd TA The Cricketers
To follow the information and instructions given by the duty chef to support a clean, safe and hygienic kitchen environment, equipment, crockery, cutlery and utensils. To ensure the floor areas are kept clean, dry and free from debris. To support the kitchen team with food preparation and the safe receipt and storage of food.
Closing date: 30 Oct 2021
To be agreed upon appointment
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
01 Nov 2021
02 Jul 2021
Level 2 (GCSE)
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
Salary ranges from:
- 16/17 yrs. - £6.00/hr
- 18-20 yrs. - £7.00/hr
- 21/22 yrs. - £8.36/hr
- 23+ yrs. - £8.91/hr
Planning, organising and Managing for the kitchen activities:
- Follow instruction, information and guidance from the Duty Chef, on the daily tasks that need completing
- Support the Duty Chef with the checking, signing in and putting away of deliveries.
- Using the kitchen paperwork as instructed by the Duty Chef
- Maintain food safety standards in terms of cleanliness and hygienic practices
- To immediately report any concerns to the Duty Chef about the performance and standards of suppliers and their goods
- Report to the head Chef, Sous Chef and Chefs, any concerns which may potentially breach Policy, Procedural or Legal requirements at the site
- To actively support the Head Chef in meeting the action points identified from internal Audit/Inspection
- Keep floor areas dry and clean and bins emptied throughout service at all times
Cost Control and Sales:
- To assist in the monitoring food supplier quality when seeing in deliveries and report any concerns to the Duty Chef
- Minimise waste in all areas of food preparation, in line with Company Policies and Procedures to help meet the GP targets
- To use, store and replace chemicals and PPE as instructed by the Duty Chef and instructed for safe use
- Assist in maximising sales by contributing to the quality of the food preparation process and environment
- Establish and maintain professional working relationships with kitchen and front of houses staff and managers
- To complete kitchen paperwork as required by your role and responsibilities
- Attend meetings with the kitchen team as required
- Keep informed and updated on a daily basis, knowing your role and responsibilities
- Assist the Duty Chef by reporting any concerns regarding kitchen rotas, to maximise efficiency and minimise costs
- Participate in staff development opportunities, learning opportunities, courses and follow coaching support given
- Promote a culture that encourages employee participation, a professional approach, open communication, a fun exciting workplace and supports Barons values of 'Being the Best you can Be'
- Assist the Duty Chef in ensuring compliance with Food Safety and Health and Safety standards in line with legal standards, policies, procedures
- Assist the Head Chef, Sous chef and Chefs by projecting a positive and helpful attitude when dealing with any visit by Environmental Health Practitioners at the Site, taking responsibility for following advice and guidance as directed
- To co-operate with the head Chef, Sous Chef and Chefs on legal compliance training, staff development and attendance at courses
Requirements and prospects
- Effective Communication skills
- Team working skills
- Being able to manage self
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good customer service skills
- Legal compliance and understanding
- Performance results
- Interpersonal skills
- Maths and English skills
- Customer awareness
- Takes ownership
- Committed to continuous personal development
- Team Player
- Polite, courteous and professional
- Has a can-do approach
Maths and English at GCSE grade C / 4 or above or equivalent.
Barons Pub's aim is to provide professional training and development opportunities that will support the progression of staff and managers in developing competent, knowledge, skills and attitudes which contributes to a successful career.
Things to consider
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
The Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage guide (ANMW): https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
About the employer
Barons Pub Company is a successful, independent food-led pub group with 10 busy sites in superb Berkshire & Surrey locations. We have been recognised in the 2019 London Stock Exchange ‘1000 Companies to Inspire Britain’ report, which showcases the UK’s most dynamic and fastest growing companies. All of our Pubs have 5 star hygiene ratings and excellent TripAdvisor reports.
The Barons Academy offers excellent training and development programmes for Front and Back of House employees, with guaranteed opportunities for progression.
The Education and Skills Partnership Ltd
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by The Education and Skills Partnership Ltd
Kate Moorby (Baron's Pub) 07384 253720 firstname.lastname@example.org
As part of this apprenticeship, staff will complete the L2 Commis Chef Apprenticeship.
Those who do not have a maths and English at Grade C/4 or above, or equivalent will also complete functional skills training in maths and English.
Barons Pub also provide a range of professional training and development opportunities to support the progression of staff and managers.
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.