Commis Chef Apprenticeship BEACON COUNTRY HOUSE HOTEL LIMITED
A superb opportunity has arisen to join Beacon House Hotel as an Apprentice Commis Chef. The role will help you to establish a career within the hospitality industry, to gain specialist knowledge, skills and expertise, as well as train towards a series of nationally recognised qualifications.
Closing date: 30 Sep 2021
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
03 Jan 2022
01 Jul 2021
Level 2 (GCSE)
The Beacon Country House Hotel are looking for an enthusiastic and dedicated apprentice for their kitchen.
Daily duties will include:
- Food preparation and service for the guests and non-residents
- General kitchen duties will be involved as you will be a member of the kitchen team
- Strong Health and Hygiene work ethic required as this will be an integral part of the role
- Being part of a small team, cleaning and tidying as you work including washing up and KP duties will be expected if required
- You will be involved with menu development and discussions
- You will learn all aspects of the kitchen which also includes baking their own bread
Whilst at College you will learn about the following: food groups through range, preparations methods and cooking methods: fish, shellfish, meat, game, offal, vegetables, sauces, stocks, soups, rice, pasta and noodles, eggs, vegetable protein, bread and dough, pastry, cakes, sponges, biscuits and scones, cold and hot desserts.
You will also learn about: food safety practices and hygiene standards, preparing, cooking and storing ingredients, diet, nutrition, allergens and menu planning, basic food preparation and cooking, professional behaviours and performance levels, teamwork and communication, basic costing, yield, supply chain and waste management and risks in the working environment.
Requirements and prospects
- No desired skills needed! We are looking for a reliable and committed applicant who will be eager to learn and develop their skills with our support
- Be punctual
- Work well within a team
- Be able to use their own initiative
- Be logical and able to solve problems
- Be pro-active and creative
- Diligent and organised
- Have a good sense of humour
- 5 GCSE grade A* - C/ 9 - 4 in maths and English or equivalent
- Note that math and English will be studied as a mandatory part of the apprenticeship if C/4 or equivalent has not already been achieved. These will be studied by Block Weeks, Monday to Friday
- There may be an opportunity for a permanent position upon full completion of the apprenticeship
Things to consider
- No two days will be the same. Village location so will need reliable transport or to live locally. The village is on the Truro to Newquay Bus Link but there is a short walk from the Bus Stop to the Hotel
- The vacancy may close early if a suitable candidate is found. All published dates can therefore be flexible and will be dependent on suitable candidates coming forward and registering appropriate interest
About the employer
Thanks to its magnificent countryside and coastal views, the Beacon is a Country House Hotel with the emphasis very much on peace and quiet and natural beauty.
It commands one of the best vistas in the area, with far reaching views inland and along the coast to St Ives, and not to forget the endless stargazing that can be done across the moonlit sea in the evenings.
Beautifully located on the slopes of the Beacon, our two acres of grounds are proudly looked after by Mike the gardener who boasts 50 years of experience! There are plenty of benches and seats to sit and admire the changing colours, have a drink from the bar, listen to the sounds of the countryside.
Surrounded by wildlife, rabbits, foxes, pheasants and other birds, the hustle and bustle of city life are left far behind.
We specialise in a choice of traditional, seafood, and modern dishes in our recently refurbished restaurant. We take pride in only using the freshest, locally sourced ingredients and everything is freshly prepared each day ensuring that they arrive on your plate as fresh as can be. Much of our produce is sourced locally from Cornish suppliers, with our fish coming direct from John Earl in Chapel Porth, our meat from Rob Carr’s butchers in St Agnes, and our vegetables from West Countries Fruit & Vegetable. We are also able to cater for any food intolerances or allergies.
BEACON COUNTRY HOUSE HOTEL LIMITED
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Cornwall College Business
Recruitment Team 01209 616269
Commis Chef Level 2 Apprenticeship Standard:
- As part of this apprenticeship, you will need to achieve the Level 2 Commis Chef qualification, before undertaking the final 'End Point Assessment'
- Assessor support will be provided in the workplace
- College attendance will be required at our Camborne campus, so you will need to be able to get to this venue
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.