Apprentice Commis Chef Hardwick Hall Hotel
Hardwick Hall Hotel would like to welcome an Apprentice Commis Chef to their experienced and friendly team. This is an excellent opportunity for an aspiring Chef to gain the knowledge, experience, and qualifications to embark on a successful career in the catering industry.
Closing date: 30 Sep 2021
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
01 Oct 2021
29 Jun 2021
Level 2 (GCSE)
Principal responsibilities will include:
- Learn different procedures of food preparation
- Prepare ingredients for dishes upon the instructions of the Chef
- Assist in operating commercial cooking equipment such as stoves, cookers, ovens, and fryers
- Make sure that food supplies are stored properly and used resourcefully
- Ensure that food items are properly rotated in refrigerators and dealt with according to the restaurant’s policies
- Help the Chef in cooking activities by providing input and managing work
- Set up food stations by following Chef’s orders
- Make sure that recipes are followed properly during food preparation and cooking time
- Handle portion control requirements and presentation standards
- Arrange food items aesthetically on serving plates
- Make sure that the kitchen is clean and organised at all times
- Ensure that best food practices and kitchen hygiene protocols are adhered to
- Provide guidance to kitchen staff in upholding high culinary standards
- Make sure that all leftover food is stored properly
- Assist in checking food deliveries for both quantity and quality standards
- Provide input into stock rotation activities and make sure that food inventory is in check
- Learn and employ the basics of food aesthetics in sync with the restaurant’s set instructions
- Maintain a “clean as you go” work ethic
N.B. This job description is designed to give you an overall view of the job and is not a definitive list of tasks.
Requirements and prospects
- Good communication skills with a variety of people including colleagues, managers, and customers
- Good interpersonal skills
- Culinary skills will be developed on the apprenticeship programme
- Friendly and outgoing
- Confident and professional manner
- Conscientious attitude
- Attention to detail
- Flexible approach to work
- Able to work under pressure and multitask
- Self-motivation and a passion for cooking
- Good work ethic and a commitment to learning
- Minimum of GCSEs at grades E/2 (or equivalent) in maths and English
- GCSEs at grades A*-C/9-4 (or equivalent)
This could lead to a long-term position for the right candidate upon completion of this apprenticeship.
Things to consider
Shifts will be discussed at the employer interview stage. The kitchen is often very hot and stressful. The candidate will show stamina and commitment to achieving their apprenticeship.
About the employer
Hardwick Hall is a four-star rated, award-winning hotel in County Durham and Teesside. Surrounded by the stunning Hardwick Country Park, our hotel is steeped in charm and character providing the perfect setting for a luxurious breakaway.
Our hotel currently offers over 50 luxury bedrooms with exceptional standards of comfort, quirky-clever decor and first class traditional service. Each one of our stylish boutique hotel rooms have been individually designed and include large baths, walk-in showers, luxury furnishings and huge king size beds you’ll never want to get out of.
We are also one of the most popular and unique wedding venues in the North East. We have four magnificent suites available all offering great variety and something to suit a number of requirements. We also hold a license to accommodate civil ceremonies at the venue.
Hardwick Hall also has various meeting and event facilities as well as a wide range of conference venues suitable for everything from small business meetings to elaborate corporate events. There is free WiFi throughout, on-site parking and we can also provide catering services making us the of the very best business and event venues in the North East.
Whatever your needs, whether business or pleasure, Hardwick Hall is one of the most beautiful and versatile hotels in the North East.
A range of dining facilities are open to guests and day visitors alike. The Rib Room offers a comprehensive steakhouse style menu of excellent classic food with a contemporary edge. Succulent steaks are prepared and cooked from Durham raised Hereford Beef. All the local meat, matured for 28 - 32 days can be viewed in the Rib Room Meat Locker. At the Rib Room restaurant in Sedgefield, you will find the menu changes seasonally, our Chefs use the finest and freshest local produce and the food is cooked simply and priced sensibly.
Alternatively, visit us for a refined Afternoon Tea in country house surroundings in Durham, a traditional Sunday Lunch with all the trimmings or a relaxed afternoon in our Lounge Bar.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Darlington College
Kay Sherwen 07483 103284 email@example.com
Level 2 Commis Chef apprenticeship standard, which includes:
- Level 1/2 Functional Skills in maths and English (if required)
- End-Point Assessment (EPA)
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.