Apprentice Agricultural Technician R.W. CRAWFORD AGRICULTURAL MACHINERY LIMITED
We are looking for an enthusiastic and passionate person to join our team. The role is extremely varied, on a day-to-day basis. You will be learning and developing your skills on all types of machinery requiring a great deal of focus.
Closing date: 30 Sep 2021
To be agreed upon appointment
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
01 Oct 2021
25 Jun 2021
Level 2 (GCSE)
- Develop skills and proficiency on all agricultural machinery
- Routine maintenance and servicing
- Assisting qualified Technicians as needed
- Assist with maintaining a clean and safe working environment
The main responsibilities are intended as a summary of the role and is not an exhaustive list of duties, the post holder is expected to undertake many tasks and responsibilities as required and deemed appropriate by the business.
Requirements and prospects
- A farming/agriculture background (ideally), but not essential
- Good time keeping, Flexible when needed
- Teamwork, organised, Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work to deadlines
- Computer literate
- Enthusiastic, passionate and hard working
- All Apprentices are required to have achieved English & Maths at GCSE, or equivalents, A-C or 7-4 & above, or Functional Skills Level 2 prior to being put forward for EPA.
- Yes! Crawfords are very proud to be able to grow apprentice’s confidence within the industry. We have been apart of an apprenticeship scheme for over 10 years and have many successful employees who have completed and are still completing they’re learning.
- Some have continued as technicians and become specialists in a particular brand i.e. Fendt or Massy Ferguson and others have branched into other departments within the business.
Things to consider
- To begin with driving would not be a necessity as long as the right candidate was able to be at the depot on time ready for work and able to commute. However, in the long term a full driver’s licence would be required as our technicians are mobile and travel all over the counties especially for additional training.
- We are very much a family unit here at Crawfords, although we are continually growing it is important for us to work together to create a strong team.
- 22 days holiday + 8 Bank Holidays (closed at Christmas)
- We are currently involved with Techscheme and Cyclescheme and our mobile providers O2 offer a discount for ALL staff members.
- We also offer our staff access to an EAP (Employee Assistance Programme). This is a downloadable app with access to different wellbeing services.
- There are occasional treats throughout the year including nights out Go Karting, BBQ’s, Fish and Chips on Friday or simply cakes and biscuits being offered to name a few.
- We do not expect our staff to pay for tea/coffee and squash which is readily available in all depots.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week). For more information please visit: https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
About the employer
R W Crawford Agricultural Machinery was founded by Bob Crawford in October 1980, originally buying, and selling used farm machinery. We now specialise in providing Agricultural Sales, Servicing and Parts sales across Essex, Hertfordshire, Kent, Sussex, and Hampshire.
Our Head Office is in Writtle, on the outskirts of Chelmsford, Essex.
Having previously been a Case IH and JCB dealer, in 2001 R W Crawford proudly took on the Massey Ferguson Franchise. This was to be the start of a long and established relationship with AGCO. With the Massey Ferguson franchise being a success, in 2003 R W Crawford took on Challenger. Following further success with Challenger, R W Crawford felt that the ongoing growth and success of the company meant that we were able to take on a further AGCO Franchise, Fendt. Check out our range of used Fendt tractors.
R W Crawford started running the Challenger Franchise in Kent from our Essex Depot. With the Fendt franchise taken on in 2005, a decision was made to reciprocate the success of our Essex depot in Kent. A suitable site was found located just off Junction 8 of the M20 and planning was secured. On Wednesday 26th June 2013, the newly built state of the art depot opened in Charing, Nr Ashford, Kent.
Following the success of our new depot in Kent, solid foundations formed. We felt we were able to take on two more franchises at our Kent depot. At the beginning of 2014, we proudly announced that we had taken on the Valtra and Isuzu Franchises.
By 2016 R W Crawford had taken on the Valtra franchise in Essex, making the Essex dealership ‘full-line’. With the merging of Challenger into Fendt in the UK, we can now offer customers three of AGCO’s finest franchises to our name. Massey Ferguson, Fendt and Valtra. Allowing us to supply you with a tractor that can suit your every need.
Over time we outgrew our original depot in South Woodham Ferrers in Essex. Therefore, once again, a site was secured, planning was accepted and in July 2018 we moved into our state of the art, purpose-built premises in Writtle, Essex.
During the first few months of 2019 we were presented with an opportunity to take on additional territory covering West Sussex and Hampshire. We took this opportunity and in June 2019 we opened our doors at our new site located along the A272 on the outskirts of Billingshurst, West Sussex.
At the start of 2020, we were awarded the Manitou Agricultural product range for Essex, Kent, Sussex and Hampshire. We have agreed to work with Suffolk Agri Centre near Bury St Edmunds as a sub-dealer responsible for all sales, and after-sales support in the county of Suffolk. “Manitou is a respected quality brand offering the performance and reliability our customers demand. There are models to suit all types and sizes of agricultural enterprise which means it is ideal for our operating area, and it will complement the quality brands we currently represent. There is great excitement throughout our sales teams at the opportunities this gives us to cater for the needs of new and existing customers.” Comments Wes Crawford.
From starting off with just a handful of staff we now have over 80 employees! Come and be part of our journey!
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Plumpton College
Alice Hutchinson 01273 892127 email@example.com
What Apprentices Will Learn
- Environmental, safe working and legal requirements
- Use of specialist tools and equipment
- Thermally and chemically joining metals and components
- Advanced technical and engineering principles of land-based engineering machinery, plant and equipment
- Service, maintenance and repair principles and practices for complex machinery, plant and equipment
- Accessing, interpreting and applying technical data
- Diagnosing faults and verifying machinery
- Apprenticeship Certificate
- Level 2 Diploma in Land-based Engineering
- Level 1 maths and English (if applicable)
One day a week delivery either at Plumpton College or virtually online. In college will be split between 50% theory and 50% practical to allow learners to gain a great understanding for both skills and knowledge to support them in their job role.
End Point Assessment
- Online knowledge test
- Practical task
- Professional interview
Land-based service engineer
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.