Apprentice Butcher ABP UK
To ensure that carcasses are dressed and trimmed according to ABP and Customer specifications as directed by the Production management. To ensure that work is completed to production deadlines and in accordance with food safety regulations and any other legislation in force and relevant at the time.
Closing date: 30 Sep 2021
£360.00 - £456.00
Total hours per week: 48.00
(the hours are based on the candidate being over 18)
Possible start date
01 Oct 2021
25 Jun 2021
Level 2 (GCSE)
- Complete a 18 month Butchery apprenticeship scheme to develop/maintain skills and remain up to date with best practice
- Ensure required tasks are carried out according to ABP and Customer specifications as directed by the Production Supervisor
- Ensure work is carried out to the best of operative’s abilities to meet production deadlines and quality objectives
- Seek training to maintain skills and remain up to date with best practice
- Ensure that all parts of the carcass are trimmed to produce optimum production yield while adhering to legislation and company requirements
- Work as part of a team and take responsibility for own work
- Carry out all procedures in a safe manner in accordance with training
- Comply with company policy and procedures on safe food handling and hygiene at all times
- Maintain responsibility for operational effectiveness of equipment and machinery and report faults to supervisor in a timely manner
- Maintain personal PPE
- Carry out any other reasonable duties assigned
Requirements and prospects
- The ideal candidate will demonstrate the ability to follow detailed operating procedures with a high degree of attention to detail
- The candidate will follow instructions including those relating to personal health and safety and the wearing of PPE
- General operative tasks require a substantial amount of physical ability
- Resilience - Never gives up, solution driven, cost aware
- Effective Execution - Makes things happen
- Communication and Influening Skills - Able to influence people at all levels, internal and external, through listening and adjusting communication style where required
- Customer Focused - Understands the customer and is always seeking to improve quality and service for our internal and external stakeholders
- Great Team Mate - Works with colleagues to do what is best for the company as a whole, ahead of divisional, department or personal goals. Wants to develop and help develop others
- Priorities - Compliant with detailed intructions, detailed awareness of food safety management, detailed attention to legislation requirements
- Maths & English ability to good standard
- On successful completion of the apprenticeship we hope that you will continue on with your career at ABP Beef Guildford
Things to consider
- Free tea & coffee
- Additional two days holiday a year
- Loyalty scheme
- Access to benefits portal
- Long service awards
About the employer
ABP UK is a major division of the ABP Food Group with factories in Ireland, UK, and Europe, ABP’s commitment to excellence impacts on every aspect of its business. Our teams of experienced and reliable meat experts are passionate about building lasting partnerships in the European retail, manufacturing, and food service sectors.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Plumpton College
Alice Hutchinson 01273 892127 email@example.com
Butchery is one of the oldest professions in the world where innovation meets tradition.
A Plumpton College butchery apprenticeship will equip you with all the skills and knowledge necessary to be successful in an increasingly popular, in-demand and growing sector.
Focussing on process butchery, you will acquire the skills and knowledge to practice the art of butchery at the highest level, learning to cut, prepare, and make modern meat products as required by ABP Beef.
Following successful completion of the apprenticeship, you will be recognised by the Institute of Meat (IoM) entitling you to use the initials M.Inst.M.
What you will learn:
- Knife skills - including cutting, boning, trimming and mincing of meat
- Health and safety practices, food safety and hygiene and key legislation
- Using butchery tools and machinery – including mincing, sausage making, bacon curing, vacuum packing
- Business profitability, maximising productivity, efficiency and customer care
- Team work and customer care skills
- Specialist processing plant butchery skills
Qualifications you’ll gain:
- Apprenticeship Certificate
- Level 2 award in food safety
- Level 2 award in health and safety
- Level 2 award in knife skills
- Level 1 in maths and English (if applicable)
A blended learning experience with a mixture of live online learning and study alongside practical skill development workshops delivered at your place of work.
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.