Design Apprentice Blueberry Products
An exciting start to your Engineering Design career awaits you at Blueberry Products! We are in the Play industry. We design and manufacture Sports and Playground Equipment, and we arrange to install them to make complete Play Areas in Schools and for Local Authorities.
Closing date: 24 Sep 2021
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
04 Oct 2021
23 Jun 2021
Level 3 (A level)
Duties to include:
- Create concept designs for Sports and Play equipment
- Prepare detail drawings for those products on CAD (currently SolidWorks)
- Print and cut signs using CNC technology
- Design complete playgrounds and prepare plans for customers to see. (as example)
- Create images using photographs and 3D images (as example)
Requirements and prospects
- Computer literacy is essential
- Experience of CAD software is not essential as full training will be given
- Good attention to detail
- Problem solving skills
- Excellent numerical skills
- A general interest in design and engineering
- Good communication skills
- Willingness to learn a new skill
- Tenacity and resilience
- Commitment, drive and flexibility
- The confidence to communicate effectively at all levels
- A basic interest in the science of play and of challenging play equipment.
5 GCSE’s or Equivalent at grade C/4 including English, maths and a Science or equivalent.
Potential opportunity for a permanent role within the company following successful completion of the apprenticeship.
Things to consider
Additional training to take place at Loughborough College to develop knowledge, skills, and behaviours to accordance to this Apprenticeship. Please ensure you are able to travel before applying.
Loughborough College has the right to close this vacancy before the end date.
Our team is small and so the Apprentice would be involved in all aspects of the business. Starting with the basics and learning more and more as time goes by.
Of paramount importance is a commitment to the job and enthusiasm to provide designs that will have a direct impact on the future of the business. A creative flair is important, as is an aptitude to generate design results in CAD.
The applicants must also have a basic interest in the science of Play, particularly younger children at Primary Schools age.
Much of the design work will be included in the company web site and so an interest in the workings of web pages would also be beneficial.
Our factory is in a delightful Charnwood forest setting, but public transport is non-existent and so the candidate must have a reliable method of journeying to and from work and to Loughborough College for additional training.
About the employer
Where we came from:
Director Rob Walmsley entered the Fencing Industry by establishing Mercian Fence Hire by way of a Princes’ Trust Business Loan in 1994. Later evolving into Mercian Security Fencing where for 8 years the company installed Fencing, Gates and Amenity Products. Subsequently, a small team of fabricators began the manufacture of steel fencing and gates in a small factory in Tamworth.
Swiftly outgrowing that premises and a few in between, Rob and the team found themselves in a larger factory in Coalville, Leicestershire where production began to increase and the range expanded from solely fencing and gates into a collection of sports and play equipment. Securing subcontract deals for big named play brands, Blueberry firmly landed in the sport and leisure industry.
Where we are now:
Fast forward, to April 2016, Blueberry has moved again to a 14,000 sq ft facility near to Loughborough, Leicestershire. This move has allowed Blueberry to install a state-of-the-art powder coating plant, as well as allowing for extensive metal fabrications facilities meaning we are now able to sustain the largest of customers.
Our extensive background coupled with our desire for using the latest manufacturing technologies means we always provide practical, low cost solutions that look great and have high entertainment value.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Loughborough College
Hayley Cousins 01509 618019 email@example.com
- L3 Apprenticeship Standard in Engineering Design and Draughtsperson
- L3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Development Technical Knowledge)
- L3 BTEC Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Development Technical Knowledge)
- L2 Functional Skills English and maths (if required)
End-Point Assessment (EPA):
Practical observation - to assess the Apprentice’s application of skills within the Apprentice’s place of work or in a suitable environment away from the workplace (e.g. In a centre approved by the EPAO); Professional discussion - to holistically assess KSBs across the standard and will be informed by reflective portfolio
Currently delivered one day per week (Term Time Only) at Loughborough College.
Engineering design and draughtsperson
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.