Apprentice ICT Service Desk Engineer Warwickshire College
This is an exciting apprenticeship position within our IT Services Department, specifically within the ICT Technical Services Team. The post holder will work with colleagues skilled in a wide array of IT disciplines, to provide End User ICT, Audio Visual and Network Infrastructure support to staff and students at our Leamington Campus.
Closing date: 06 Oct 2021
£8,275.00 - £12,718.00
Total hours per week: 37.00
Possible start date
13 Oct 2021
21 Jun 2021
Level 3 (A level)
Duties will include but are not limited to:
- To provide a good level of customer service in assisting WCG staff, students and visitors in the use of End User Computing (EUC) hardware, software and other ICT equipment. This includes assisting with the central ICT service desk core functions when required.
- To carry out EUC / Audio Visual / Network Infrastructure support duties as directed.
- To accurately add and update asset and log support call information on the relevant systems.
- To ensure allocated support calls are resolved in a timely and professional manner to departmental SLA’s.
- To ensure relevant staff/students are informed of the progress of your work where appropriate.
- To dispatch, receipt and test equipment sent out of the College for modification or repair, and to maintain detailed records of these actions.
- To install, move, test, reconfigure, repair and service EUC equipment as required
- To install and maintain software applications and update corresponding documentation.
- To work flexibly with other departmental staff to ensure tasks and objectives across the entire department are achieved in a timely fashion.
Your hands-on support will be provided in person or by using remote support tools. There will be an occasional requirement to provide telephone helpdesk support which will add to the wide variety of experience you will gain on this apprenticeship.
Once trained, there will be a requirement to be able to work evenings on a rota basis and to occasionally deploy to other campuses to provide support at short notice.
Requirements and prospects
- Understands how to configure, install and maintain PCs/laptops/tablets, office applications such as Office 2016 and Microsoft Windows 7/10 operating system in a networked environment.
- Some knowledge of the principles and methods used in testing and fault diagnosis of PCs/laptops/tablets and printers.
- Significant use of computers, both mobile and desktop and able to fault find hardware to a modular level.
- An understanding of the principles of computer imaging and the remote management of equipment/software.
- Experience in working in an ICT service led environment, logging calls and resolving issues to predefined SLA’s.
- Exposure to Apple hardware and software support.
- An understanding of the principles of IP networking and WiFi.
- Able to demonstrate a strong interest in IT and Business.
- Excellent communication skills - able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing with staff at all levels and to appreciate the confidentiality of personal information.
- Ideally applicants will have some relevant work experience, gained whilst in employment, voluntary work or spare time.
- Enthusiastic, positive, willingness to learn and a team player.
- Having a good customer service focus and a can-do attitude are essential
- Excellent and reliable timekeeping with the ability to work flexible hours and to be prepared to work beyond normal working hours on occasions.
- Ability to work with others, follow instructions and stay focused on tasks.
- Demonstrate a systematic, disciplined and analytical approach to problem solving.
Minimum of 3 GCSEs grad 9-4 (A*-C) or above in English, maths and a Science; or equivalent qualifications.
Possessing a minimum Level 3 qualification in an appropriate subject OR have other appropriate recognised qualifications is preferable
Potentially leading to a higher level course.
The possibility of future full-time permanent employment.
Things to consider
This post will be based on-site at our Leamington Campus.
A DBS check will be required prior to employment commencing.
About the employer
As one of the largest further and higher education colleges in the UK, with unique colleges across two counties, we aim to deliver learning experiences which lead to the development of wider skill bases and improved destinations for all of our students.
Our recent Ofsted inspection highlights our success and strong focus both on students and on meeting industry needs. We are also one of only five colleges in the UK to be granted Foundation Degree Awarding Powers by the Privy Council – meaning our higher education academic quality and standards are equal to any university.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Warwickshire College
- Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship in Information Communications Technician:
Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours as defined by the standard
- To support the knowledge required for this apprenticeship, a series of remote learning modules and/or workshops will need to be completed. Knowledge modules will typically cover:
- Networking and Architecture,
- Coding & Logic
- Cloud Services
- Mobile and Operating Systems
- Business Processes
- Although not mandatory, it is recommended that apprentices complete these to ensure that they gain the knowledge required for them to successfully complete their apprenticeship End Point Assessment. Learning workshops currently take place at our Leamington site.
- Learning Journal to log 20% off-the-job training
- Level 2 Functional Skills in English and maths (if required)
Information communications technician
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.