Science Assistant Apprenticeship OASIS COMMUNITY LEARNING
To assist in the preparation of science practical work and to give general support to the teaching staff within the Science Department. To support the Science Faculty in administration and organisation of resources and equipment.
Closing date: 30 Sep 2021
Total hours per week: 34.00
Possible start date
01 Oct 2021
15 Jun 2021
Level 3 (A level)
Through consultation with teaching staff: provide the required apparatus, chemicals etc. for routine demonstrations to be undertaken by teachers; enable students to undertake required practical work and according to ability and experience, assist teaching staff in practical Science lessons.
Health & Safety:
Ensure that all services and apparatus are maintained in proper working order and that electrical components are regularly checked to ensure safety. Also, to ensure that chemicals are safely and securely stored in accordance with specific instructions and recommended guidelines.
The post holder will have a shared responsibility for instituting good practice in the school’s laboratories to ensure Health and Safety of students and teachers using the laboratories. The effective provision of materials and apparatus for science will contribute towards effective teaching and learning, and higher standards of attainment by the students. The proper care and control of equipment will minimise the likelihood of accidental injury.
To prepare and set out equipment to enable teaching staff to undertake routine scientific demonstrations and class experimental work, following current Health and Safety statutes and procedural guidelines. To manage the acquisition, safe storage and disposal of equipment and chemicals required in connection with delivery of the school’s Science curriculum.
These tasks serve to indicate the range of duties and level of responsibilities involved. It is not exhaustive, and it is not intended that every apprentice Science technician will undertake the full range of tasks.
- To collect equipment and materials from storage and organise these for class use
- To clean and store equipment after use
- To assist in the preparation of worksheets and other teaching materials as required
- To prepare equipment and materials for lessons both for demonstration and class use
- To prepare chemical solutions
- To set up equipment and apparatus, as required, for demonstration purposes and to enable students to undertake practical work, this includes ICT equipment
- To construct and repair equipment
- Ensure that all apparatus is properly maintained at all times so that it can be used effectively
- To liaise with external contractors and suppliers
- To assist in providing advice to students and teachers on the correct and safe use of equipment and the inherent dangers in filing to observe proper procedures
- To care for and maintain audio-visual aids
- If required to do so, to assist with class practical work and in recording the outcome of students’ practical work
- To care for plants and animals in the science department
- to ensure, during teaching staff absence, the required resources and appropriate lesson plan, is in the teaching room ready for the supply or cover teacher
- To participate, as required, in staff development sessions
- To place orders and check deliveries of equipment and materials
Requirements and prospects
- Good organisational skills
- Listening skills
- Ability to multitask
- Motivated and enthusiastic
- A confident communicator
- Professionally presented
- Punctual and reliable
GCSEs at grades A*-C/9-4 (or equivalent) in maths and English.
Progression to full-time employment.
Things to consider
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
For more information please visit: https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
About the employer
We have thriving Academy that is at the heart of our community, committed to developing successful learners for the future, through delivering outstanding outcomes for all.
Through this we will ensure that our learners leave us prepared to have a positive impact on the world in their own unique way.
We will aim to create an exciting, secure and happy environment, which provides opportunities for nurturing personal growth and fostering the development of enquiring minds. Our Academy will be a happy and vibrant place where expectations are high, everyone is valued and encouraged to be their very best and given opportunities to make their dreams a reality.
Let Me Play Ltd
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Let Me Play Ltd
Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship standard, which includes:
- Level 2 Functional Skills in maths and English (if required)
- End-Point Assessment (EPA)
Group training happens off-site two days a month and includes First Aid, Safeguarding, Special Educational Needs (SEN), and ICT, as well as support and feedback from your tutor with coursework.
Once you are placed in one of our partner schools you will attend training two days a month where you will be working towards gaining your Level 3 Diploma.
As a provider we only specialise in providing schools with apprentices.
Having said this, we put on lots of additional training during holiday periods where you will cover things like:
- Safeguarding training
- Behaviour management
- First aid
- And much more
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.