Apprentice Groundworker G & J Bircham
An exciting opportunity to start a career as an Apprentice Groundworker working for G & J Bircham Ltd. We are looking to train and develop an apprentice as a Groundworker to progress within the company. As an apprentice you will develop your skills alongside qualified trades people.
Closing date: 24 Oct 2021
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 41.50
(the hours are based on the candidate being over 18)
Possible start date
22 Nov 2021
11 Jun 2021
Level 2 (GCSE)
You will be required to assist our experienced Groundworkers with:
- Undertaking all aspects of the Ground working trade
- Use and maintain power tools including compactor plates
- Install, maintain, and remove temporary protection and safety arrangements
- Preparation and installation of edgings kerbs, pathways, and patio areas
- Dig out and concreting foundations
- Preparation of driveways and install finishes such as Brick weave and Bodpave
- Install block and beam floors
- Install and test basic drainage and ducting
- Install ironworks relating to access covers, frames, and gully grates
- Providing excellent customer service to our clients
- Working to workplace health & safety company standards
- Keeping the workplace clean and tidy
The post holder may be required to perform duties other than those given in the job description. The particular duties and responsibilities attached to the post may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the duties or the level of responsibility entailed.
The Level 2 Groundworker Apprenticeship Standard is primarily delivered in the workplace with 1 day a week attendance at college (Lound) Should you not possess suitable concession qualifications, you are also required to attend college to undertake Functional Skills Qualifications.
Requirements and prospects
You will have the following skills:
- Good practical and problem-solving skills
- Good organisational skills
- Good communication and people skills
- Good customer service skills
You will need to be:
- Motivated and committed to a career in Groundworks
- Willing to undertake additional trade specific training if required
- Ability to work with precision with attention to detail
- Ability to follow guidance and instructions
- Open, honest, reliable, and trustworthy
- Flexible in your approach to work
- Ability to work independently on own initiative
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritise work
- Professional approach to work
- Health and safety conscious
- Adaptable to change
- Able to work as a cohesive and committed team worker
- Hardworking and keen to develop new skills
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic
- Pro-active in your approach
- Able to manage a varied workload
4 GCSEs at grades C/4 or above (or equivalent) including maths and English.
As part of the pre-employment check process, proof of qualifications will be required.
It is intended that - providing you successfully complete your apprenticeship - you will become a permanent member of staff and will be able to gain further experience and qualifications.
Things to consider
Applicants will need to be fit as the job demands a lot of standing and physical activity.
There may be a need to work some overtime as and when required.
The job is in a location where transport will need to be considered.
The nature of the job role dictates that you will be working in an outdoors environment.
If you are selected to attend a second interview you will be asked to complete a work trial for one day.
The salary for this post will be in line with government apprenticeship wages.
Holiday entitlement is 29 days including bank holiday.
Transport to/from site may be provided from some locations.
Other important information:
Before applying for this position please ensure that you record full details of all qualifications on the application, as the first stage of shortlisting will be to ensure the minimum qualification criteria is met.
Applications direct to the employer will not be considered – please apply using the on-line matching system.
There are eligibility criteria applied to government funded apprenticeship schemes and therefore applicants must be aged 16 or above, have been resident in the UK/EU for the last 3 years, must not possess a Degree, Level 4 qualification or above in a similar discipline or already be in any form of formal government-funded education.
Applications will be assessed as they are received, which may result in the vacancy closing before the advertised closing date, please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
About the employer
G & J Bircham are a groundworks and civil engineering company covering the Norfolk and Suffolk area. A family run business with an enviable reputation, capable of undertaking a wide range of civil engineering and groundwork construction projects.
We have a proven track record and a good reputation with many notable clients delivering innovative, competitive, and sustainable construction services to contractors and developers throughout East Anglia.
East Coast College
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by East Coast College
Shane Atherton email@example.com
Level 2 Groundworker apprenticeship standard, which includes:
- Level 1/2 Functional Skills in maths and English (if required)
- End-Point Assessment (EPA)
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.