Apprentice Floorlayer Don Woods Flooring Ltd
Don Woods Flooring Ltd based in Gainsborough are looking to employ a new apprentice to join their flooring installation / carpet fitting team. The ideal candidate needs to be enthusiastic, willing to learn and develop new skills.
Closing date: 25 Sep 2021
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
11 Oct 2021
24 May 2021
Level 2 (GCSE)
Floor layer apprentices will mostly work in peoples’ homes and / or commercial buildings alongside an experienced worker(s). Floor layers will carry out preparation works, including moisture barrier systems, smoothing compounds and ensuring the sub floor is ideal for the floorcoverings. They will also install a range of floor coverings from carpet, luxury vinyl tiles to sheet resilient flooring.
If you enjoy practical work this could be just the job you are looking for. Carpet fitting and floor laying can be physically demanding a good deal of strength and fitness as heavy lifting is an everyday part of the job. To be a carpet fitter or floor layer, you will need to have good maths skills and the ability to measure accurately in order to work out floor areas, quantities and costs. Apprentices will require the ability to work quickly and accurately, and need a polite and pleasant manner for dealing with customers and the general public.
- Most carpet fitters start out by joining a company and training on the job
- They may not need any set qualifications, but employers will expect them to have practical skills and be good with numbers in order to work out quantities and areas
The Candidate will be required to pass the CSkills CSCS Health and Safety Environment test, Training test and application will be provided to the successful candidates.
The role of the carpet fitter is varied and each day will differ from the last, some of the tasks you may be expected to assist with and become competent in are listed below:
- Measuring floor space and estimating the of materials needed
- Uplifting old flooring
- Cleaning and levelling sub floors
- Installing underlays for a range of floorcoverings
- Installing carpets by stretching or bonding to the prepared surface
- Creating joins in a range of floor coverings
- Having an eye for detail to achieve good standards
- Clearing away furniture and taking off doors
- Putting furniture back and trimming and re-hanging doors
- Working within the warehouse re-rolling, measuring and cutting materials in preparation for use
- Assisting customers within the shop
Non-drivers that require transport to the site would reside in the following areas:
- DN4 and DN11 areas of Doncaster.
Successful candidates will be able to start this career through our apprenticeship scheme.
Requirements and prospects
- You must be well mannered, presentable and trustworthy with good communication skills for dealing with customers
- You will need to show a keen interest in the flooring sector, enjoy practical work and have good practical skills
- You will be punctual, reliable, enthusiastic and eager to learn
- You will have a flexible attitude in relation to working hours (the working day will finish when the job is complete)
- A good fitter will take pride in their work and have a keen attention to detail to produce work to a high standard
No formal qualifications are required for this role, however, a good level of English and Maths will be an advantage.
Don Woods Flooring Ltd are looking to expand their team of expert fitters and recruit a candidate to undertake the apprenticeship training whilst in full-time employment with them. You must show the desire and motivation to progress your career by working hard and adhering to the terms and conditions of employment. This is a fantastic opportunity for the successful candidate to start their career with a highly reputable and well-established company.
Things to consider
The successful candidate will be required to attend CP Assessments Training Centre in Denaby Main, Doncaster to undertake 14 block-release training sessions (2-3 days), every 6-8 weeks to complete their apprenticeship training.
About the employer
Don Woods Flooring Ltd is a local friendly flooring specialist with three decades of trade and fitting experience based in Gainsborough. The team takes pride in each and every job by providing top quality customer service from start to finish. They fit a wide range of floor coverings from carpets to safety floors and serve the domestic and commercial market alike.
CONSTRUCTION AND PLANT ASSESSMENTS LTD
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Construction And Plant Assessments Ltd
Leah Jackson 01709 868181 email@example.com
- Floorlayer training programme covering Textile, Resilient, LVT, Sub floor preparation, estimating and planning
- CSkills CSCS Health and Safety Environment Test and Card
- Functional Skills Mathematics
- Functional Skills English
- Employment Rights Responsibilities
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.