Apprentice Chef THE WOODMAN INN (BURNESTON) LTD
The team at The Woodman Inn Burneston near Bedale are looking for an aspiring Chef to work as part of our busy team and we have an exciting opportunity for a hardworking and dedicated individual to join our kitchen as an Apprentice Commis Chef.
Closing date: 30 Sep 2021
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
01 Oct 2021
20 May 2021
Level 2 (GCSE)
Your main responsibilities will be to learn and carry out food preparation in any area of the kitchen as requested. You will be expected to work closely with the team to help deliver our high level of standard of service to the customer.
If you have the passion for the hospitality and food service, then we are keen to hear from you.
This is a full-time position, which will include attendance at Darlington College one day per week, offering an excellent opportunity for an aspiring Chef to gain the knowledge, experience and qualifications to embark on a successful career in the catering industry. Full training in all aspects of the job will be given as you work towards a Level 2 Apprenticeship. The training will be delivered in the form of work-based learning
- Learn different procedures of food preparation
- Prepare ingredients for dishes upon the instructions from more experienced members of the team
- Assist in operating commercial cooking equipment such as stoves, cookers, ovens and fryers
- Make sure that food supplies are stored properly and used resourcefully
- Ensure that food items are properly rotated in refrigerators and any near expiry ones are dealt with according to the restaurant’s policies
- Help Chefs in cooking activities by providing input and managing work
- Set up food stations by following the Chef’s orders
- Make sure that recipes are followed properly during food preparation and cooking time
- Handle portion control requirements and presentation standards
- Arrange food items aesthetically on serving plates
- Make sure that the kitchen is clean and organised at all times
- Ensure that best food practices and kitchen hygiene protocols are adhered to
- Provide guidance to kitchen staff in upholding standards
- Make sure that all leftover food is stored properly
- Assist in checking food deliveries for both quantity and quality standards
- Maintain a “clean as you go” work ethic
- Keep up to date with new products, menus and promotions
- Supporting the kitchen team by making sure equipment is clean and available when needed, by using the pot wash and keeping the kitchen tidy
N.B. This Job Description is designed to give you an overall view of the job and is not a definitive list of tasks.
Requirements and prospects
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Good spoken communication skills
- Able to work under pressure and multi-task
- Self-motivation and a passion for cooking
- Ability to carry out tasks quickly and competently
- Ability to pick up detailed instructions quickly and follow them closely
- Keen to develop your skills in the hospitality sector and enthusiastic to learn
- A smart tidy appearance with high standard of cleanliness and hygiene
- A passion for food and we will teach you the rest
- GCSEs grade C/4 and above (or equivalent qualifications) in English and maths
- A full time job for the right candidate on completion of the qualification and progression within the role. This is a long term opportunity with real future prospects
Things to consider
- Shift patterns will be discussed at interview
- You will be required to attend an interview at Darlington College for all courses and Apprenticeships
- The kitchen can be very hot and sometimes stressful
- The candidate will show stamina and commitment
About the employer
Located in the peaceful and beautiful village of Burneston near Bedale, North Yorkshire, ideally placed just off the A1 and handy for local tourist attractions.
A Free house since July 2014, serving good food, using locally sourced ingredients, fine wine and great local ales.
We have taken over from martin & olwyn from april 2021. the existing chefs and team remain with us and we look forward to welcoming you all into our friendly inn.
The woodman team
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Darlington College
Kay Sherwen 07483 103284 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Level 2 Commis Chef Apprenticeship Standard
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.