Level 4 Technical Apprentice – Quality Engineer Ransomes Jacobsen Limited
Ransomes Jacobsen Ltd are seeking a Quality Engineer to join the Company. The role is one of constant demand and changing priorities, with the main goal being to drive quality improvement.
Closing date: 20 Sep 2021
Total hours per week: 37.00
Possible start date
27 Sep 2021
25 May 2021
Level 4 (Higher national Certificate)
As part of this role you will be required to study towards the Engineering Manufacturing Technician Level 4 Apprenticeship Standard at Colchester Institute.
The company are continuing to develop their apprenticeship programme and are looking to recruit Technical Apprentices for our Manufacturing facilities at Ipswich. You will complete the following:
- Reactive responsibilities
- Investigate product quality issues (Line, internal and external suppliers)
- Implement immediate action to enable production at acceptable quality levels
- Ensure long term action to prevent recurrence
- Liaises with Suppliers/Purchasing to ensure long term supplier actions that address causes of quality failures
- Works closely with the test area to ensure that adequate checks and tests are performed to detect all likely defects, in a consistent and timely manner
- Provides technical support and interface with engineering areas, owning of resolution of any technical/quality issue that impacts the line
- Proactive responsibilities
- Owns collection and presentation of data that will be used to support improvement initiatives
- Strongly supports operations management and team leaders in organised quality improvement processes
- Works with New Product teams and suppliers to turn NP quality deliverables into specific in-plant quality actions, and strongly participates in those actions being followed through to completion
- Provides data to show progress toward meeting quality deliverables at each Tollgate review
- Other reasonable duties as required
Requirements and prospects
- Good literacy and numeracy
- Able to demonstrate practical skills
- Logical thinker and the ability to identify and solve problems
- Must be well motivated, capable of working as an individual or team member
- Considers time and attendance important
- Conscientious and considerate of others needs
- 2 A Levels (or equivalent) or more (must include maths and a Science related subject) OR Engineering related L3 Diploma (90 credits or more) eg. BTEC, City & Guilds or EAL
- All candidates will be required to complete Colchester Institute's mandatory initial assessment process before being put forward to the company. This will consist of online assessments and interview with the relevant department
- Students will be expected to complete a 30 months course achieving an HNC or equivalent qualification in a mechanical or electrical engineering qualification. Successful completion of the course / qualification could lead to a permanent role within the Manufacturing Engineering department
Things to consider
Apprentices under 18 will work the following pattern:
Monday – Wednesday = 7:00am to 15:30pm
Thursday – Friday =7:00am to 15:00pm
Each day has a set lunch break of 30 minutes from 12:00 noon to 12:30pm, and a 10 minute break each day at 10:00am – working a 39 hr week.
Apprentices over 18 will work the following pattern:
Week 1 – Monday – Thursday = 6:30am to 15:40pm
Week 2 – Monday – Friday = 6:30am to 15:40pm
Each day has a set lunch break of 30 minutes from 12:00 noon to 12:30pm, and a 10 minute break each day at 10:00am – working a 39 average hr week, 78 hours over the two weeks.
- You will be required to attend Colchester Institute 1 day per week for the first 24 months of the Apprenticeship
- A monthly allowance is paid alongside salary for training/travel
- There is no working away, and the shift is detailed above
- Full laundered work wear service plus tee shirts and sweatshirts provided free of charge
- All PPE provided including safety footwear
- Colchester Institute – Apprenticeship Team manage the applications to this role and you will be required to complete our initial assessment process before your application gets sent onto the employer
- Please be advised that the closing date for this role could be brought forward or extended if this vacancy receives a high number or low number of applicants and/or the company recruit before the closing date
- Whilst there are possible closing and start dates should you be available earlier this can be negotiated with the employer
About the employer
Ransomes is part of the Textron Group which includes Bell Helicopter and Cessna among many others. Ransomes has a long history of manufacturing mowers and turf maintenance equipment which are used across the globe. From parks and sports grounds to highways and fine lawns, the Ransomes extensive range has a machine for every environment. The site in Ipswich focus on designing, manufacturing, building and testing a number of different machines.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Colchester Institute
Colchester Institute - Apprenticeship Team 01206712043 email@example.com
All delivered within the work place via online training and at Colchester Institute Campus.
Candidates will undertake the Engineering Manufacturing Technician Level 4 apprenticeship standard and work towards a Higher National Certificate in Engineering or Level 4 Higher National Certificate in Manufacturing Operations.
Engineering manufacturing technician
Level 4 (Higher national Certificate)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.