Apprentice Chef Walworth Castle
Your role will be to assist in the production and service of food, ensuring consistently high standards are adhered to in all aspects of the job. This is an excellent opportunity for an aspiring Chef to gain the knowledge, experience and qualifications to embark on a successful career in the catering industry.
Closing date: 30 Sep 2021
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
01 Oct 2021
10 May 2021
Level 2 (GCSE)
- Learn different procedures of food preparation
- Prepare ingredients for dishes upon the instructions of the Chef
- Assist in operating commercial cooking equipment such as stoves, cookers, ovens and fryers
- Make sure that food supplies are stored properly and used resourcefully
- Ensure that food items are properly rotated in refrigerators and dealt with according to the restaurant’s policies
- Help the Chef in cooking activities by providing input and managing work
- Set up food stations by following Chef’s orders
- Make sure that recipes are followed properly during food preparation and cooking time
- Handle portion control requirements and presentation standards
- Arrange food items aesthetically on serving plates
- Make sure that the kitchen is clean and organised at all times
- Ensure that best food practices and kitchen hygiene protocols are adhered to
- Provide guidance to kitchen staff in upholding high culinary standards
- Make sure that all leftover food is stored properly
- Assist in checking food deliveries for both quantity and quality standards
- Provide input into stock rotation activities and make sure that food inventory is in check
- Learn and employ the basics of food aesthetics in sync with the restaurant’s set instructions
- Maintain a “clean as you go” work ethic
- N.B. This Job Description is designed to give you an overall view of the job and is not a definitive list of tasks
Requirements and prospects
- Ability to communicate with a variety of people including colleagues, managers and customers
- Attention to detail
- Flexible approach to work
- Able to work under pressure and multi task
- Self-motivation and a passion for cooking
- Good work ethic and a commitment to learning
- Culinary skills will be developed on the apprenticeship programme
- Good interpersonal skills
- Friendly and outgoing
- Confident and professional manner
- Conscientious attitude
- Essential - Minimum of GCSE Grade E/2 in maths and English (or the equivalent)
- Desirable - GCSE Grade 4 - 9 / A - C (or the equivalent)
This could lead to a long term position for the right candidate.
Things to consider
40 hours over 5 days including one day per week spent working towards qualifications at college. The remaining 32 hours will be spread over 4 days based at work.
The kitchen is often very hot and stressful. The candidate will show stamina and commitment to achieving their apprenticeship.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week). For more information please visit: https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
About the employer
Walworth Castle Hotel near Darlington, is set in 18 acres of lawns and woodlands and is one of the finest habitable castles in the country.
Dining at Walworth Castle gives you the chance to experience some of the most amazing dishes that the North-East has to offer. We source local, seasonal ingredients for our menus and our team of highly skilled chefs create menus which are delicious and enough to whet any appetite.
We serve food all day 1189 Bar and Kitchen, between 12 noon and 9.00pm, 7 days a week. We offer a wide range of dishes from a sandwich to a 3-course meal. You can always expect a warm welcome at Walworth Castle. As well as a lunch and dinner menu, we also have a great Children’s menu. With lots of healthy options, 1189 Bar and Kitchen is a great option for all the family.
We serve a wide range of beers, lagers and ciders, as well as lots of popular spirits. We have a wide range of Whiskeys, Rums, Brandies and we are particularly passionate about Gins where we have a wide range for you to try, served with Fevertree Tonic of course. Our renowned local wine supplier is Bon Coeur based at Melsonby, which is less than 10 miles from the castle. The owners of Bon Coeur personally select wines from all over the world and we are proud to have them on the castles wine list.
We serve a Sunday Lunch Menu from 12.00pm where we offer a selection of starters, main courses and desserts.
A selection of roast meats, seasonal vegetables and potatoes and homemade Yorkshire puddings, made with local organic Acorn Dairy milk and Teesdale Eggs.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Darlington College
Kay Sherwen 07483 103284 firstname.lastname@example.org
Training to be provided in line with the Commis Chef standard Level 2.
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.