Bricklaying Apprentice Jacob Tyrrell
JH Brickworks is looking for a bricklaying apprentice to join his expanding team in Plymouth. This is a fantastic opportunity for the right candidate.
Closing date: 24 Aug 2021
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
31 Aug 2021
05 May 2021
Level 2 (GCSE)
Duties will include:
- As part of your apprenticeship programme, you will learn to help make mixes, load out and help to lay bricks
- You will be using a variety of specialist tools and equipment to lay bricks, spread and remove excess mortar
- As part of your training you will need to observe work being carried out and replicate it to a high standard
- You will also be erecting, maintaining and repairing masonry structures using cutting tools, whilst maintaining a high level of health and safety when conducting the tasks that you carry out
- You will be required to use the necessary personal protective equipment at all times while you are working on site
- Part of your duties will also be to make sure that all tools and equipment used are cleaned and put away at the end of each day
The successful apprentices must have good coordination skills and will be taught to lay bricks and blocks to design plans. You will be supervised by an experienced, fully qualified member of their team, who will guide you and assist you in all aspects of your on-site training.
Requirements and prospects
- The successful apprentice will need to be physically fit, with good coordination skills and a focused approach to the job in hand
- Excellent timekeeping and attendance are also desirable
- Stamina is also a vital factor in this role, as you will be required to work indoors and outdoors and you must also be able to work at height
- You must also have good communication skills as you will need to work as part of a team as well as on your own
- You will need to be keen, motivated and enjoy physical work
- The successful candidate will need to be capable of meeting the physical demands of the work and highly motivated to carry out this exciting yet demanding role
- A keen interest in the construction industry is also essential, be willing to work in all kinds of weather and want to work hard to progress in your chosen career
Qualifications required for this role include GCSE’s grades A*-E (9-4) in maths and English, or equivalent qualification.
After having completed your level 2 apprenticeship, you will have the opportunity to progress onto higher level qualifications or establish your own small business and train the next generation of people.
Things to consider
In order to be successful for this role, you will need to achieve your CSCS card prior to starting this apprenticeship, which we will support you to achieve.
About the employer
JH Brickwork is owned by Jacob, who began his bricklaying career with Skills Group, and due to his hard work and determination has now set up his own small business.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Skills to Group Ltd
Skills Group 01752 332442 firstname.lastname@example.org
The Apprenticeship in Bricklaying consists of:
- Level 2 Bricklayer Standard
- Construction Skills Health, Safety and Environment test – CSCS Test
As part of the apprenticeship programme, attendance is required at our Skills Group training centre for one day per week. All other aspects of the qualification will be delivered on-site by the employer. You will have regular visits every six to eight weeks from your designated Skills Group assessor, who will monitor your progress during your apprenticeship training.
Whilst at the Skills Group training centre, you will learn the necessary skills and gain experience to help you throughout your role. Part of your training will be knowledge and theory based, whilst the rest will be practical. You will develop your hand skills, carry out brick and block work, learn the correct use of specific tools, carry out pointing and learn mortar ratio mixes under the guidance of your assessor. Learning all these additional skills will benefit you on returning to the employer.
As an additional qualification you will also achieve your Emergency First Aid and Health and Safety Certificate, along with Internet Safety and Safeguarding.
As part of your apprenticeship Skills Group will also support you to complete your online CSCS test, which will enable you to apply for your CSCS Card. This shows that you are at the required competent level to carry out site work with the employer.
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.